access updates

kapakra

Programming Experience
Beginner
hiya

i am working on some software for PAT Testing, and its a simple app in the end it takes readings and save them to a database, access 2003.

ive over come all my problems apart from this one! and ive got a desk piled high with examples and book on this but im still stuck!

all i need to do is update a row with a year, eg the row C0001 was 2005, now it needs to be 2006.

here is my code:

Try
Dim DBConn As OleDbConnection
Dim dbCommand As New OleDbCommand()
DBConn = New OleDbConnection("Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=C:/pat.mdb;")
dbCommand.CommandText = "Update data SET Where ident= " & TextBox2.Text & " year= " & TextBox1.Text
dbCommand.Connection = DBConn
dbCommand.Connection.Open()
dbCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()
DBConn.Close()
Catch err As System.Exception
MsgBox(err.Message)
End Try

now i know ive prob done something stupid, but im teaching this to myself so any help/pointers would be good.

thanks.

Your SQL code is wrong. You want to SET a field to a value WHERE the PK is a particular value, e.g.
VB.NET:
             dbCommand.CommandText = "UPDATE data SET year= " & TextBox1.Text & " WHERE ident= " & TextBox2.Text
Any simple SQL tutorial would have told you that, including this one.

Also, I STRONGLY recommend that you break the habit of using string concatenation to build SQL statements. It is bad idea for several reasons. A proper mechanism exists for inserting values into SQL code:
VB.NET:
 dbCommand.CommandText = "UPDATE data SET year = @year WHERE ident = @ident"
dbCommand.Parameters.AddWithValue("@year", TextBox1.Text)
dbCommand.Parameters.AddWithValue("@ident", TextBox2.Text)
Note also that this code still doesn't ensure that the user has entered valid data. What if they the user enters "foobar" in TextBox1?

Thank you both for you help, but i think im still missing some thing!

ive been reading cjard's link, and ive tried using this:

VB.NET:
 Dim doneRow() As Data.DataRow
        doneRow = PatDataSet.Tables("done").Select("ident = 'C0001'")
        doneRow(0)("year") = "2008"

As for as i can see this is the same syntax as the exaple i have, but i get the error:

Index was outside the bounds of the array.

what am i missing here!

any pointers would be great.

thanks

Change your code:

VB.NET:
        Dim doneRow() As Data.DataRow
        doneRow = PatDataSet.Tables("done").Select("ident = 'C0001'")
If doneRow IsNot Nothing and doneRow.Rows.Count > 0 then
        doneRow(0)("year") = "2008"
else
  Messagebox.show("donerows is null or has no rows -> the no row has an ident of C0001")
Endif

Back