4 on a row

Jorre

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi my name is Youri Follman, im 17 years old and i got a big problem.

In the beginning of January i changed school, i went to study programming, but it was harder then i expected.

I have to program 4 on a row within 5 days. But i don't know how to start cause i'm just a beginner at VB.net.

I use VB.net (Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003).
I have programmed a few small things, but nothing like 4 on a row.
If I succeed in programming 4 on a row i get many points.

My question is if sombody can help me with this?
Maybe you got the program already?

I would be verry thankful for the ones that help me out.

Do not ask people to help you cheat. If you have made a start on some code then you can post it here and we can help you improve it but it's up to you to do the work. If the class is too difficult then you would have options other than cheating.

I do apologise. I read your post as meaning that you had to write four different programs in the next fives days. I know that game as "Connect Four" so I didn't make the mental leap. Having said that, this is still your homework and you need to do the work. You need to make a start and then ask more specific questions that we can provide assistance with. Once you've got some code to work with then we can help you improve it and give you pointers about directions to take, but if you come here with no code and no ideas of your own then people will be less inclined to help.

kulrom said:
As much as I hate to say this, I am afraid I must agree with jmcilhinney (John).
I hate saying it when I'm right too.;):D We're here to help, don't doubt it, but you must help yourself too.

i've written down some code, its the code to draw my frame, but it doesn't draw a thing.

i've coppied my code into a .doc file so you guys can look at it

(look at attachment)

Attachments

• 4onarow.doc
    21.5 KB · Views: 29
I programmed allot of those games :p
What i always do when i start programming a new game i take a pen and paper and write what i'm gonna need and what i'm going to use to creat it. In your case it should be something like this:

-Draw squares => GDI (onpaint)
-Draw circles (for players selection) => use texture or solidbrush => GDI
-How to triangulate players selection on the squares => use sizes (eg: (40,40)) => get mousepositions/40 to know wich tile the player selected
-Make AI, don't really know how manny possible positions you could get but i think its safe to say you could use brute force AI on this one

Then when you got all that stuff you can add extra's like adding some times to make everyting less static (if you do use timers + gdi then don't forget to buffer)

A good site on creting games using VB.net is http://vbprogramming.8k.com/tutorials/main.htm or PM me and i'll send you some ebooks on game programming in .net i still got.

I'd suggest not posting Word docs. Include your code directly in your post or, if there is a fair bit of it, attach a VB file. Generally speaking you should be able to narrow things down to just the relevant stuff and post a reasonably sized snippet in code tags so we can read it right in this page.

Back