Question 2010 - Finally moving on from VB6!!

vb6forever

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi experts, well, nearly 10 years after .net became the mainstream I am finally making the move to vb.net after having supported VB6 apps all this time.

I have been learning vb.net 2010 but am finding it difficult to find relevant information on the COM aspect. In VB6 COM was the dominating feature of the language, however, I can't seem to find relevant information on what has happened to COM in vb.net, does it still exist in vb.net, does it work in the same way or are apps designed in a different way in .net to do away with COM dll's?

Anyway pointers to where I can find relevant information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Giz

COM is not a part of the .Net platform, but it provides interoperability for backward compatibility with it.
Introduction to COM Interop (Visual Basic)
COM Interop (Visual Basic)

.Net class libraries is by default (and preferred) consumed as application local copies, or system-wide from Global Assembly Cache. Stuff like .Net Framework libraries themselves are installed in GAC.
I have been learning vb.net 2010
Your profile says .Net 1.1 which is VB 2003. Please update it to .Net 4.0. VB 2010 is the way to go for you when starting to learn .Net now.

JohnH - Thanks very much for that info, just the start I was looking for.

Do you know where I can view a sample project that shows the difference in programming between the old COM structure and the new .Net structure?

Thanks very much.

Profile updated.

Back