Resolved 15 Day's Trial

Status
Not open for further replies.

t3cho

Programming Experience
1-3
Hi vbdotnet community

I wonder how to make a 15 day's trial.

I found a lot tutorials ,but each of them is easy to break . Just reinstall application and it will work. How to prevent this ???

Looking for some useful examples.

Thank you .

Last edited:
There is no way to prevent it. The only way that an application can know when it was installed is to store some data on the machine. If the user can find and delete that data then the application will think it's being installed for the first time. All you can do is make it hard for the user to find the information.

If you're trying to create a trial period then presumably you're trying to sell your software to make money. In that case, you should invest in a proper licensing component. There are some options around that are easy to work with and not too expensive and are going to be much better than anything you come up with yourself. Two that I've used in the past are Quick License Manager and Infralution Licensing System.

There is no way to prevent it. The only way that an application can know when it was installed is to store some data on the machine. If the user can find and delete that data then the application will think it's being installed for the first time. All you can do is make it hard for the user to find the information.

If you're trying to create a trial period then presumably you're trying to sell your software to make money. In that case, you should invest in a proper licensing component. There are some options around that are easy to work with and not too expensive and are going to be much better than anything you come up with yourself. Two that I've used in the past are Quick License Manager and Infralution Licensing System.

I don't need some kind of super strong protection, because this application i want to put at commercial will use "Computer beginners" not anyone else. So i don't think they will be able to made some changes.

I need pure level of security which can't be broken by simple reinstalling application

I don't need some kind of super strong protection, because this application i want to put at commercial will use "Computer beginners" not anyone else. So i don't think they will be able to made some changes.

I need pure level of security which can't be broken by simple reinstalling application

Then all you need to do is write the installation or first use time to a file or to the Registry and then not remove it if you uninstall. The data will still be there if the application is reinstalled so the same original time will be used for determining validity.

Then all you need to do is write the installation or first use time to a file or to the Registry and then not remove it if you uninstall. The data will still be there if the application is reinstalled so the same original time will be used for determining validity.

Is it hard to make when uninstalling the Registry file stay untouched ?

Is it hard to make when uninstalling the Registry file stay untouched ?

How hard is it usually to not do something? Quite easy, generally.

How hard is it usually to not do something? Quite easy, generally.

For you it is easy to create project. For me it's hard to connect two forms.

#Define your easy ?
Compare with my easy !

I just want to know does it require some advanced knowledge of vb. Because i did quite a lot of things with visual basic . I know how to add to registar, how to add to startup menu but don't know how to prevent from deleting

I know how to add to registar, how to add to startup menu but don't know how to prevent from deleting

If it was going to be deleted it would be you doing the deleting. The way to prevent it being deleted is to not delete it. How would you prevent your fist from hitting you in the face? Just not punch yourself, right? If you don't want something deleted then just don't delete it.

If it was going to be deleted it would be you doing the deleting. The way to prevent it being deleted is to not delete it. How would you prevent your fist from hitting you in the face? Just not punch yourself, right? If you don't want something deleted then just don't delete it.

I thought i might learn something on this forum .

Peace I'm out !

And you haven't? I think that says more about you than the forum...

I have already posted two free and easy to use licensing libraries up there, have you taken a look at them?

And you haven't? I think that says more about you than the forum...

I have already posted two free and easy to use licensing libraries up there, have you taken a look at them?

You aren't friendly at all.
If i ask you .With normal uninstall of the program will i lose the Registry files which i created on first run. How hard is to answer on that question ?

I made application on my computer, send it to other computer, one guy run the program. In registry files it add a new file. If user uninstall the program will he lose that file from registries ? Really don't know how hard is this question or how hard it can be .

And you answered me
How would you prevent your fist from hitting you in the face? Just not punch yourself, right?

If the moderators on forum is like this what can i expect from other community ?

Well you clearly have not understood what he meant. The uninstall will uninstall whatever you tell the uninstall procedure to uninstall. Installs and uninstalls are not magic, YOU have to create them. So when you create them, YOU decide what gets installed where, and what gets uninstalled.

But that is not even the point. You said you need a licensing solution. A key in registry is not a licensing solution. Have you even looked at either of the two libraries I linked earlier? They BOTH do exactly what you need and they are not even hard to use.

Have you done any research into licensing at all?

This forum helps people that try to help themselves. You post an OK question, but you clearly have done no effort to figure it out by yourself and you seem to ignore the answers given. What do you expect?

Maybe instead of blaming others for not fixing your problems for you, you should learn to research your own problems properly.

Well you clearly have not understood what he meant. The uninstall will uninstall whatever you tell the uninstall procedure to uninstall. Installs and uninstalls are not magic, YOU have to create them. So when you create them, YOU decide what gets installed where, and what gets uninstalled.

But that is not even the point. You said you need a licensing solution. A key in registry is not a licensing solution. Have you even looked at either of the two libraries I linked earlier? They BOTH do exactly what you need and they are not even hard to use.

Have you done any research into licensing at all?

This forum helps people that try to help themselves. You post an OK question, but you clearly have done no effort to figure it out by yourself and you seem to ignore the answers given. What do you expect?

Maybe instead of blaming others for not fixing your problems for you, you should learn to research your own problems properly.

Thank you for your answer i quoted the wrong guys.

Take a lot at this picture .
Current Time and Time i Downloaded the files you suggested.
23f53ee29263da66cee954a1c4f23730.jpg

I've never before do anything with registry, or even .dll files. It's just basic/normal application which i want to licence i take a look at those program's put the dll file at my project, and tried to follow those steps SKGL - Serial Key Generating Library - Home .

At start i got error something like
CreateAKey.secretPhase not defined
Dim CreateAKey As New SKGL.Generate ' creating an object
CreateAKey.secretPhase = "My$ecretPa$$W0rd" ' adding a password
TextBox1.Text = CreateAKey.doKey(30) ' generating a key; 30 is the time left.

There isn't that much documentation how to use this or videos .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back