Xslt

shansivamani

Programming Experience
1-3
Hi..

Is it possible to convert one form of XML to another form,for eg,to RSS format using XSLT...

:)

Yes, you can output Xml tags and content to screen as directed by your Xslt script then simply copy the text to another xml file.
Just remember to replace open tag mark < with < in the Xslt script so the output won't get confused and interpreted as real tags when the parser outputs to screen.
(You can't use Xslt to directly write output to another file.)

Yes, that is basically what they do in that example.

They have some Xml and transform it with Xslt server-side, which then writes the RSS formatted output. This is the output read by any type clients connecting to that server, and is available for RSS clients to subscribe to.

A direct client-side transformation of the same would not work for an RSS client to subscribe, since RSS clients reads the available Xml content as raw data without applying any Xslt stylesheet transformations.

Since that server-side example actually is outputting Xml, they write the Xml tags out in plain with no need to escape the opening tag marks. As the difference described above, this is only possible when doing the converting process dynamically server-side (per-request).

Is this possible...HTML-XML-RSS

If we r converting the contents of a web page to XML using WebServices...
i.e. HTML to XML...
the output XML will not be having tags like title,link,etc..
in such cases..how can we identify the channel title,link,description details and again converting them into RSS format using that XSLT...
is there any way to do this..

Webservice is server-side provider, if you can control that why not directly output RSS formatted Xml ?

Do this RSS have to be dynamically generated from dynamic content per client request, or is this a one-time-only process just to get some content converted and get going with a RSS feed?

the RSS have to be dynamically generated..
not a one-time-only process..every time new contents are added in the page..the RSS also have to be updated..or once every 5 minutes..
after converting HTML to XML ..the XML contents should be stored in a link..i hope there are some webservices for this..then that XML contents have to be converted to RSS format...is it possible?

In that case you need an active server (ASP(.Net)) to generate and serve them up.

Whether you use a webservice or not as an intermediate step in converting Html content to Xml is up to you. (I did ask if it was you that controlled the webservice, if so, I could add - does it serve any other purpose? If not, why not skip this and convert it all from your ASP server?)

Back