Working with SqlCe 2.0 in VS2008 (.net version conflict?)

motoburn

Programming Experience
Beginner
I am using VS 2008, I need to communicate with some pre-existing handheld devices which are running the .net 2.0 version of SqlCe database. So far, I hit errors trying to read them, because my only option for working with SqlCe appears to be .net 3.5 framework.

When I get the error, it indicates that I should convert the database to the new framework, but I cannot. The database file has to stay the same for the mobile app to function.

Is there some sort of an adapter, or can I import a 2.0 version reference to work with?

I have considered just writing a new app for the mobile devices, but would rather avoid the time/cost if we can work around this issue and harvest their data as is.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I have been all over the net looking for something... I have downloaded the System.Data.SqlServerCe.dll v 1.0.2268.0 which when added to my project, and debug is run, it cannot get past the "Imports System.Data.SqlServerCe" and it errors. I followed some advice I read in other forum posts and downloaded the 2005 Sql Server Management Studio Express, which will not communicate with SqlCe at all (unless I erred significantly). If anyone can help me, all I need to accomplish is reading the data from 2 tables...

Back