Question Wireless connection

sansalk

Programming Experience
1-3
Hi I have been preparing on live updating DB project just got assigned to me recently.
fairly large network database program. But there is a part i got assigned that site on week wifi area. And its not a constant connection. I need to communicate with SQL server to get latest data as much as possible. And this System is going to be install on tablet pcs. User wants to enter data while their working around the wifi. And they need to read the data from server.
My idea was saving everything to local Accesses database and sends it to the server. if it’s get connection. But to buy lots of MS Access licences is expensive method. And i am thinking about XML but doesn’t know the capabilities with win forms and large amount of data
I am using VB.net 2010 and SQL 2008
Appreciate any input suggestions and direction. Thanks all.

:tennis::tennis::tennis::tennis:

You wouldn't need to buy lots of Access licenses because you wouldn't be using the Access application, just connecting to a Jet (MDB) or Access (ACCDB) data file. The OLE DB provider is free in both cases.

That said, I wouldn't go for Access. Microsoft know that the scenario you describe is quite common these days so they have built a framework specifically for it. You should read up about "occasionally connected applications" and the Microsoft Sync Framework.

You shoul;d probably jsut do your data access is the normal way.. Query the data whenever the user needs the latest (i.e. when theyre going to look at it) and manage any ConcurrencyViolationExceptions you encounter.. That's where someone else changed the data the current user just edited and tried to save.. When I say manage, you have choices like:
Newest overwrites
Keep older change
Get user to merge
Attempt auto merge

You have to code these scenarios yourself, but it's not difficult

note when i say "data access the normal way" i mean the Microsoft Way, as outlined in the DW4 link in my signature. If you read that set of tutorials, start with Creating a SImple Data App

Back