WinForm does not respond

lekso

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi!

I have following problem. My VB.NET application does much computations and during this process winform is just filled with white color. Is it possible to make it look better, so that a progressbar and other controls could be visible? I use VS2003.
Thanks for reply, Alex

If you are using VS 2003, please update your profile as your Primary Platform shows VS 2005. You may want to look into performing tasks in the background, on another thread. Look into Async capabilities.

Do u have the habit of using a splash screen if not take any win application which is well constructed. It will use a splash screen until they take all the resources and next the splash screen will disappear then the original window will appear.
thanks
Naresh

Do u have the habit of using a splash screen if not take any win application which is well constructed. It will use a splash screen until they take all the resources and next the splash screen will disappear then the original window will appear.
thanks
Naresh

what?
anyways back to the original topic:
Hi!

I have following problem. My VB.NET application does much computations and during this process winform is just filled with white color. Is it possible to make it look better, so that a progressbar and other controls could be visible? I use VS2003.
Thanks for reply, Alex

look into System.Threading for creating a background thread to do the work and the background thread can raise a progress event (you'll have to make the progress event) and the main form can handle the background thread's progress event to show the user

also by doing it this way the user can still move the window around the screen and whatnot while it's doing all the processing

sorry i thought it was application loading

Hi,
Sorry i thought it is a he is loading the application. I realized now, he is loading a form in the application. isnt it??
regards
naresh

Hi,
Sorry i thought it is a he is loading the application. I realized now, he is loading a form in the application. isnt it??
regards
naresh

from how it was worded: his main form is already loaded and when the heavy processing begins the form doesnt update itself like s/he was expecting

from how it was worded: his main form is already loaded and when the heavy processing begins the form doesnt update itself like s/he was expecting
he :)

Thank you everybody for replies, I'll try to solve the problem with background threads, this seems to be what I need.

The problem was as follows: when calculations begin, the winform looks ok, even progressbar works, but once I drag the window to another location on the screen, or start any another programm, all controls disappear. Only when all calculations are done, they are shown again.

yup, that happens because the form is busy with the processing and that thread is too busy to update the graphics on the form

System.Threading would be your friend in this case

Back