bpk1970

Programming Experience
Beginner
#1 (permalink) Today, 6:04 AM
bpk1970
VB.NET Forum Newbie
.NET Framework: .NET 3.5 (VS 2008) Join Date: Jul 2009

Windows forms networking with ASPX server page

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear forum members,

I have recently converted from VB 6 to VB 2008 and humbly seek your expertise:

Dilemma: I would like to design a thick client-server application, with a downloadable Windows Form application that networks with a Server application running simple statistical business logic.
- Specifically, I would like my friends to download a card game (with a rich GUI) that runs as a Windows Form application on their computers, and that networks with a server hosted page utilizing simple database access.

Initial solution: I'd like to start designing this project by creating a Windows Form application that networks with an ASPX web page hosted on my own computer. This would be prior to deployment on an internet (public) server.

Questions:
1. Should I design this project as a WCF project? Or is there anyway to design a standard Windows Form application that can network with an ASPX page directly.

2. How can I have a Windows Form application "link" to an ASPX page? I only know how to have a Web Form network with an ASPX page (by using a Website template with client_serverProcessing).

3. Should I consider using TCP/IP socket protocols to link the client-server software?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, including references to books and online tutorials. I apologize if this subject has been asked numerous times before, but I have done my own research into ASPX and WCF and haven't found any straightforward, simple solutions (yet).

Thanks!

Bk

Back