Windows 7?

Administrator

VB.NET Forum Admin
Programming Experience
10+
Well, it's publicly available, click here to download. I installed it today, hmmm, not sure what I think! In my opinion, Microsoft needs to break clean from Vista, the new Windows should have no resemblence to Vista, Vista is plagued, for whatever reason, it will never succeed in the public eye.

Win7 to me looks like Vista SP3. I don't see much difference, I don't see it fixing whatever it was that drove people away from Vista.

What are your thoughts?

I'm sure Windows 7 is/will be fine, but I won't try it until next pc buy, that should have it preinstalled. If I were developing solutions professionally I would probably (have to) be all over it already to get the edge on the next platform. Having used computers extensively since Windows 3.0 I've had my share of "trying out" OS configurations with inifinite crashes and reinstallations (in retrospect Win 3 series was crap basically, Win 95 and 98 was really bad, Win XP not too bad), currently I enjoy every problem free Windows day where I can complete work tasks, surf, enjoy media, and develop/code applications without having to waste time "fixing the tool" (sounds contradictory for a developer hobbyist, doesn't it? :)). Current computer is 10 months and came with Vista, and I loved it since first startup. I frequently read all these "I don't like it" complaints about Vista, but I don't understand them, in my opinion Vista is the best Windows to date.

What are your thoughts?
Hi Neal, hopefully it will not end the same as Crossfire ;)

As far as I have read in my favorite magazine (c't - only available in german), W7 IS much "better" than Vista. MS seems to have learned and has done a good job this time. Maybe the the design is like Vista, but as far as I understood, there have been major changes under the hood.

I'm still running XP and I'm happy with it. But since I'd really like to use more than 4 Gig, I'd probably switch to W7 after it comes out (or maybe wait for SP1 ...).

OTOH: As long time computer user (can you spell Apple ][ ?) I really don't like some of the "let's hide the 'technical' stuff from the user" things (like having a folder c:\users and see c:\Benutzer if you have a german Win).

Windows 7 Learning

Windows 7 improved in most cases ! we can't judge about OSs by lookin at UI
here is some links & info about windows 7

winhec Conference Video :
WinHEC 2008: Windows Hardware Engineering Conference

Learning Video from Microsoft : Learning Snacks

multi touch .NET Library :
Multi-touch .NET Library for Windows 7 | The Continuum Show | Channel 9

Taskbar and Libraries .NET Library for Windows 7 : Taskbar and Libraries .NET Library for Windows 7 | The Continuum Show | Channel 9

Windows-7-Graphics-WIC :
Windows 7 Graphics - WIC | yochay | Channel 9
& Engineering Windows 7 ;)

hope those link would be useful for users

I've been using Win7 on my laptop since the RC was released and I'm impressed so far. I won't be installing it on my desktop because there's too much software to reinstall now and again when the RTM arrives, but the laptop has very little on it.

This laptop is over two years old so the hardware is not bad but not cutting edge. It came with XP and I installed Vista about six months or more ago. I've never had any specific issues with Vista although my desktop system is fairly heavy-duty. This laptop ran Vista OK but it was significantly slower than XP on the same machine or Vista on my desktop. I did have Aero Glass enabled, which was probably a mistake.

As soon as I installed Win7 I could appreciate an increase in performance. I don't have Glass enabled, which would account for some of that, but startup and shutdown times have both improved, as has application startup, shutdown and responsiveness. VS used to take quite some time to exit on Vista but it's gone in a second or two on Win7.

The only real complaint I have had with Vista is that UAC is a pain sometimes. I don't mind confirming an app but Vista will, at times, tell me that it's going to ask for confirmation first, then actually ask for confirmation. UAC is a lot easier to get along with on Win7, although I can't say for sure that that doesn't come with a reduction is security. I'm sure there's plenty of literature on the topic.

The only real issue I've had so far is that VS has locked up a few times, so that's probably the RC at work there. Another reason not to put it on my desktop. Although I haven't used it much, I've also got VS 2010 Beta 1 on that laptop and it runs fine, although it is slower that VS 2008. I'l put that down to its being a beta for now.

I am, at this very moment, installing Win 7 x64 on my girlfriends laptop. I've assured her that it will run better than the Vista x86 that was on there before, if only because it can access all 4 GB of RAM.

Back