Window, Windows CE 5.0 and Pocket PC

pachjo

Programming Experience
10+
I am thinking about buying small erm hand held computer?

I have no knowledge of these or their OS.

I intend to write or install a language translation program, something as seen on BeoLingus to take with me to Gemany.

Is Windows CE still applicable or should I be using PocketPC.

Also any tips on what is considered to be a good mobile little fit in ya pocket computer?

Thanks

Hi there.

I own an Acer N30 pocket pc, June 2004 it was released.

I would avoid CE, that is an old lot of stuff.

Stick with the current windows mobile?

I have a headache researching this, there is a lot to read!!

I have decided to go for a Microsoft Mobile 6 device phone/pda gadget :)

I guess that would be alright, but Visual studio 2005 only supports 03, and 5. I think the 2008 version may support 6.

Which one do you have? or are going to get?

Yep!

My heart skipped a beat there for a moment, as before I was reading the replies I am downloading the SDK all 454mb of it to install :)

I have gone for the HTC Touch, not overly woried about not have 3G as that does not really bother me at the mo.

I was trying to get hold of the Samsung SCH i760 but looks like it is not available yet over here :(

Will keep you posted on my developments, thanks both for replies :)

interesting enough I was going to connect to our Terminal Server to see whether I could run a simple app (not designed for mobile as such) that way. But it turns out Windows Mobile 6 Standard does not have the Terminal Services client installed, only Professional...

looks like I'd have to see whether I can create a mobile app this way!! (basic computer audit - record computer name, username, serial number, make, model etc). I have one in place that is WAAAAAY out of date, thought I could update it nice and quickly by walking round to each PC with my phone :)

Yeah I chose MM 6 Pro as I wanted all the bits available.

Just installed the SDK and opened a new device app but as yet cant see what I need to do to create an app.

Doesn't help that I dont have the Touch yet so I can see what other things look lkie......come on postie!!!

Just thought I would let you know I have the HTC Touch, as of the other day, and cannot put it down!!!!!!

It is fantastic!

I have also installed a full German translation suite which is amazing, speech recog etc.

The functions on it are amazing and a phone to boot ..... oh and I can write programs to run ot it......when I learn that topic that is :)

Yeah it may not have 3G but I don't EVER intend to use the internet on my pay as you go service .... too dear!

But it connects a treat to my home wireless broadband, such fun reading the helpon the German suite in bed last night whilst the wife snored down the forest! :)

I have also ordered a 6GB microSD card to up the storage capacity.

ding dong :)

Back