Resolved Will included prerequisite framework be installed automatically

BobInCalgary

Programming Experience
3-5
I have created an app and a windows setup and deployment project using Visual Studio 2010 Professional.

The deployment setup is a Visual Studio Installer setup NOT ClickOnce.

In the setup project properties (prerequisites) I have selected "download prerequisite from same location as my application" and checked the "create setup program to install the prerequisite components" checkbox and selected MS.Net framework 4 as the prerequisite.

The build for the setup includes all prerequisites including the .net Framework. The install works fine on my development machine.

So, to this point all is good. My questions are;

1) will the setup check for the existance of .Net Framework 4 on a different target machine and install it automagically (sic) if it is not present? or

2) will the setup throw an error message and abandon the install if the prerequisite framework is not present ?, or

3) will something else happen?

My development machine has .Net framework 4 installed and I require it to make changes to the app if necessary so I am loathe to blow it away and try the install without the framework present since if there is a problem I will have to reinstall the framework and start over. (possibly repeating this more than once).

I have spent considerable time researching this question on this and other forums and so far have come across conflicting answers.

Any help/advice/counsel would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Bob

Last edited:
I have created an app and a windows setup and deployment project using Visual Studio 2010 Professional.

The deployment setup is a Visual Studio Installer setup NOT ClickOnce.

In the setup project properties (prerequisites) I have selected "download prerequisite from same location as my application" and checked the "create setup program to install the prerequisite components" checkbox and selected MS.Net framework 4 as the prerequisite.

The build for the setup includes all prerequisites including the .net Framework. The install works fine on my development machine.

So, to this point all is good. My questions are;

1) will the setup check for the existance of .Net Framework 4 on a different target machine and install it automagically (sic) if it is not present? or

2) will the setup throw an error message and abandon the install if the prerequisite framework is not present ?, or

3) will something else happen?

My development machine has .Net framework 4 installed and I require it to make changes to the app if necessary so I am loathe to blow it away and try the install without the framework present since if there is a problem I will have to reinstall the framework and start over. (possibly repeating this more than once).

I have spent considerable time researching this question on this and other forums and so far have come across conflicting answers.

Any help/advice/counsel would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Bob
Yes, the selected pre-req framework will mean the installer will check for that version of the .Net Framework is installed and if not, will install it too. One thing to note, you say you changed the FW download selection to "download prerequisite from same location as my application" which means you're most likely deploying on a cd/dvd or a flash/thumb drive so be sure to include the 4.0 Client Framework installer (the full installer, not the web installer) in the same folder as your application. If you're going to allow people to download it from your website or another program downloading website (like CNet, or TuCows, or similar) then leave that setting set to "Download from Microsoft" or whatever the wording is, so that if the user doesn't have the 4.0 Framework installed your installer will download it and install it from Microsoft automatically.

Thank you very much for your speedy response. Yes, my intent is to deploy the app on a DVD. I will ensure, as you suggest, that the full installer is included.

Regards,
Bob

Back