why my VS2005 doesn't give error details?

pisceswzh

Programming Experience
1-3
After I compile and run my application, if there is an error in my coding, it used to give a message of where and what the error is, but since some time, this error message just gone and when it encounter an error. It just stucks there and I have to press the "stop" buttom to end my program.

Can I get my error details box back? Thanks!

have you tried looking at the Debug options if you right-click on your project and go to Properties and the Debug?

Thank you for your reply.

I do find a "Enable SQL Server debugging" option in the Debug. It was unchecked at first. So I think if I check it, it might work. But unfortunately, after I check this checkbox. My program doesn't work at all and there is no error message either. Then I unchecked it and my program works again.

I think this is very like the solution, but I don't know why it doesn't work on my computer... Any clues?

Ok, try going to Tools, and Options. In the dialog that pops up, make sure you have Show All Settings ticked on the bottom. When ticked, scroll down in the left pane until you see "Debugging" and click on it. Try going through the options there and the sub options on the left pane like for "Edit and Continue" etc and tick as appropiate.

I found the "Edit and Continue" node under the Debugging and the "Enable Edit and Continue" is already ticked.

Other options please refer to the screen shot in the attachment.

I think the settings here are also correct. But problem might be derived from the VS2005 itself instead of the settings. Since:
1. I have never changed any default settings except those I know what they used for.
2. The debug window is displayed SOMETIMES for SOME errors, but not all.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 53
strange... can you send a screenshot of what happens when this fails? Perhaps it's just something simple like the error message box not receiving focus when an error is encountered. And no, I'm not being condescending, it happens to the best of us me included :)

There is no any special hint from the VS. Just the normal compiling view. If it is not responding for a long time, then I know an error happens.

I think it is not the situation that the error message box not receiving focus, since there is no error message box at all.

Now I can do nothing but using the messagebox to confirm the line that has error, which is quite annoying.

I am installing the VS2005 SP1 and after that I will upload a screen shot, but I really don't think it is helpful.

Here is the screen shot.

You can see I added an obvious error on the form_load, trying to convert "ddd" into a date. But the VS just stucked there and doesn't popup any error box.

But apparently, the Immediate Window has already found the error.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    175.6 KB · Views: 54
what happens when it hangs and you press Ctrl+Break together? It should stop at the appropiate point. It sounds more like it's stuck waiting for a resonse or if it's in an infinite loop...

When I press Ctrl + Break, it did stop at the line with error, but there is still no error details.

When I hover my mouse over the green error on the left, it displayed the sentence below and I don't know what it means. Please help!

Attachments

• 未命名.JPG
    未命名.JPG
    145.5 KB · Views: 48
I just created a new Windows account and tried to use the VS in the new account. To my suprise, everything seems to be OK in the new account.

So if I can reinstate the default settings of VS, it should work OK. Is there a way to do so?

But what strange is both my PC at home and work have the same problem. And the Windows at my home PC was just installed. Does that mean even if I can reinstate the default settings, after a while, the problem will come back again?

Really frustrated~~

this sounds more like a login issue then if you created a new account and it worked. The link between windows login/sql server login needs to be consistant and your windows login needs to have rights to access the appropiate tables in sql even if your actual sql login for the connection is valid. This is probably why you're not getting an error - the connection attempt is either timing out or your/the server computer is having trouble resolving the login issues. You'll need to trace through the user rights in both windows and sql server to get to the root of this I think. I don't think it's a problem with VS as such...

Confirmed again, it is really weird. After a while the new account doesn't give error message again.

But I have found another way to resolve the problem. I use the TRY...CATCH... to catch the problem and messagebox the error message and this works!

Have you tried disabling the Visual Studio hosting process? A friend had a lot of debugging problems with it on the other day.

Back