Why are component vendors supporting VS.NET 2002?

Administrator

VB.NET Forum Admin
Programming Experience
10+
Dear Component Vendors:

I ask "why are you still supporting VS.NET 2002/.NET Framework 1.0"? As most are using VS.NET 2003, we are being penalized by your components being compiled against an older framework. It's as if everyone is using Windows XP but you're still supporting Windows 98. When Whidbey arrives (VS.NET 2005) are you still going to ship components compiled against .NET FW 1.0?

I see some vendors shipping two assemblies, one for .NET 1.0 and the other for 1.1. My suggestion, stop promoting older OS's and frameworks and help push the developer community to the most common/latest framework. When Whidbey ships, I certainly expect to use the latest and greatest components/versions...so please, stop supporting the obsolete and promote modern computing!

Thank you! :)

.... but .net 1.1 has everything 1.0 has, jes more (and less bugs than 1.0) but the goal is that anything written under an 'older' framework will always work fine in the newest framework. now when it comes to something written in a newer framework running on an older one... well that's always gonna be a dumb distributer

p.s. the framework v2 can run under win98 (i havent read otherwise yet)

also, the .net framework v1.1 was released after vb.net 2003 was release, so 2002 and 2003 are on v1.0

Last edited:
JuggaloBrotha said:
goal is that anything written under an 'older' framework will always work fine in the newest framework.
Not true. The vast majority of things will work on newer Frameworks but there is no guarantee. Microsoft has lists of breaking changes from version to version, plus there are various deprecations that should also be addresses.
JuggaloBrotha said:
also, the .net framework v1.1 was released after vb.net 2003 was release, so 2002 and 2003 are on v1.0
I don't know who told you this JB but I'd steer clear of what they were smoking. VS.NET 2003 was specifically released to support v1.1 of the Framework. It's Toolbox contains components that didn't exist in v1.0 so how could it not have been written for v1.1?

ImDaFrEaK said:
Also, who gives a rats crack.
Pure genius! :mad: Those of us using the newer IDE care. As I said, most things will work but not all. I don't want to distribute a third-party component with my app assuming it will work with the newer Framework and find that it breaks under some set of conditions when it didn't before. Obviously it is up to each company/developer what they are going to support, but while bug fixes are one thing, I would think that new development should be for the newest platform first, at least once it has proven itself.

Back