Which 3rd Party Menu/Toolbar to you use?

Administrator

VB.NET Forum Admin
Programming Experience
10+
There are so many UI components out there, it's actually a daunting task picking which one to use! I have so many of them, let me see if I an name most of what I own (the element of a suite if it's part of a suite):

-.NET included components
-Janus UI v2
-Infragistics Toolbars
-Xceed SmartUI
-DotnetBar
-sharpUI
-Developer Express XtraBars
-ComponentOne Menus & Toolbars
-Syncfusion
-sharpLibrary

I'm sure there may be more, but that's a cursory look at my program files/folders.

So picking which one to use has been quite interesting! I actually spent three days (wasted) on this with an upcoming project, trying to do different things with different menus/toolbars, actually starting with the .NET included components first but had a few issues, so started hunting for that 3rd party menu/toolbar control that would really tickle my fancy.

I've used Infragistics Toolbars in the past, but they are getting so broad in components, my fear is any issues found that needed attention would not be met in a timely manner. I tried sharpLibrary as I really like this package, but had some issues, which later I believe were not related to the sharpLibrary package but another component on the form causing issues, so I moved on again. I figured I'd try the new Janus UI controls, I really like them, continuing to work with them. A few shortfalls that I really liked with Infragistics, such as right-aligned menu items (right side of the menu/toolbar using a "spring width" label control in between left and right items).

So I'm curious, what are YOU using for 3rd Party menu/toolbars in your apps? I'm not interested in VS.NET solutions, I'm asking about 3rd party only and WHY you chose this for your project(s).

I use the SandBar from DivElements when I'm not using the "stock" menubar. I have tried other products from Infragistics, Janus, etc., but I like the look and feel of the SandBar. It fits my applications perfectly and does all that I need it to do.

Maybe a silly question but why do you need 3rd party menubars? Isn't a menu simply a way of getting from a to b, and don't all menus do this?

the one that comes with the IDE isnt friendly at all when it comes to adding images as well as text in each menu item(IE a printer icon next to the word "Print" for the print document menu item or a floppy disk icon in the save menu item) plus there are other issues with it as well

Menu component

Hey,

I tried several, but I prefer DotNetBar because it does a great job when using multi-sized icons. But for ease of use, I prefer Infragistics.

Greetings,
Sigurd

B Rad said:
I use the SandBar from DivElements when I'm not using the "stock" menubar. I have tried other products from Infragistics, Janus, etc., but I like the look and feel of the SandBar. It fits my applications perfectly and does all that I need it to do.

I agree about Sandbar absolutely ... i love it ;)

Back