Where does the setup install the program

pizzaboy

Programming Experience
1-3
Ok, so I've published the project and have the setup files in directory on a USB.

When I run setup and the installation completes, what determines where the directory is? I'm also missing a shortcut key pointing to program.

I'm specifically interested in XP setup.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

How are you guys making the setup project?

If you're using the Setup & Deployment project in VS, you specify the default location (the user can change it in the wizard) and you also create the shortcuts in the project as well.

If you're using the Publish thing in VS, then the app get's installed in the GAC (Global Assembly Cache) and as for shortcuts, I have no idea how to have it create those for you. A google search would probably return lots of results.

If you're using a 3rd party program to create the installer then check with them.

If you're using the Publish thing in VS, then the app get's installed in the GAC (Global Assembly Cache) and as for shortcuts, I have no idea how to have it create those for you
ClickOnce Cache Overview (GAC is a different thing)
ClickOnce offline installation automatically creates a shortcut in start menu. From VS 2008 SP1 you can also checkbox to create desktop shortcut.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the replies.

I'm using the Publish thing is VS because it includes all of the needed files, etc.

Can you tell me how to use the Setup & Deployment project in VS? Can it allow the user to choose where the application gets installed like in a regular Windows installer? Can I use a wizard to set everything up just like in the VS Publish thing?

Truly,
Emad

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the replies.

I'm using the Publish thing is VS because it includes all of the needed files, etc.

Can you tell me how to use the Setup & Deployment project in VS? Can it allow the user to choose where the application gets installed like in a regular Windows installer? Can I use a wizard to set everything up just like in the VS Publish thing?

Truly,
Emad
It's one of the project types when you create a new solution (or add a new project to an existing solution) for those using VS Standard and up (anything but the Express edition)

Back