Question Where are My.Settings stored?

TBossAZ

Programming Experience
5-10
Hi Everyone,

I need to create an application that will modify values in My.Settings for another application.

The problem I am having is I cannot figure out where to find the config/xml file that stores the settings for the first application.

I am able to find the exe.config file in the same directory as the .exe file, but the values I save in the first application do not show up in that exe.config file. So where are My.Setting being saved for the application installed on my PC?

Any help would be appreciated.

It depends :

vista
C:\Users\<user id>\AppData\Local\Application Data\<companyname>\<appdomainname>_<eid>_<hash>\<verison>

XP
<c:\Documents and Settings>\<username>\[Local Settings\]Application Data\<companyname>\<appdomainname>_<eid>_<hash>\<verison>

but all of that depends on if your changing user settings or application settings
Using My.Settings in Visual Basic 2005 (explains more about it)

Thanks anthony.selby for the reply and the link. I was able to find the config file with the seetings I had setup in the main application.

Because the file path to the config file is so complex, I do not think I am going to be able to write a second program to update the config file of the first program. It looks like I am going to need to write a custom config file that is saved in the same place as the executable of the first program.

I know that in a more perfect world, there would be no need for a second program to do what I am talking about, but in the real world, you are sometimes stuck with the requirements you have.

If anybody else has any suggestions on how to use a second program to update the config file of the first program, feel free to share.

Have a good labor day weekend.

Back