what to choose (.net 2005 or 2008)

kartechy

Programming Experience
5-10
Hi

I am bit confused with the .net version 2005 and 2008, currently I am using
VS 2003(.net framework 1.1 and 2.0) for my current projects and planning to develop the new projects in the higher versions

Can you please clarify the following queries (sorry all are fundamental Qs)

1. which one (either VS 2005 or VS 2008) is easy/simple to use , for your information that I have medium level experience with 2003.

2. Read somewhere that we can change the target version (2.0) in VS 2008 - Is it correct?

3. I found that 2005 cost is reasonable, my manager can find some budget for this, in that case , If I forced to use 2005, will I miss any functionalities compare to 2008, just I am going to develop couple of intranet applications ( no webserices,remoting,..Etc) but I need master page, resource files (for multiple language, Active dir,)...etc

4. Which version (professional, enterprise.etc) is required (either 2005 or 2008) ?

5. And found that VS 2008 Express (Free download from Microsoft) -Can we use this version for commercial purpose ? what is the different between Normal VS 2008 and this Express version?

(Would be nice if you send any links)

Techy

1. VS 2008 is better than 2005, which is better than 2003, IMO.
  2. Correct, see FAQ 14.
  3. Try the Express first, see if it meet your needs. If you decide to buy now, go for 2008 no matter if 2005 IYO would suffice.
  4. Express doesn't have resource editor, but you could manage that, for example using Resourcer For .Net.
  5. Express has no usage limitation, see FAQ 7. The free Express of course has limited features. Also for Express you need one application for each language, where VS includes all languages in one IDE. For ASP.Net there is also a seperate Express application called Visual Web Developer Express, for this you can choose VB.Net or C# language.
If you're wondering what the full VS can offer compared to Express editions check Visual Studio 2008 Product Comparison, you can also install and try the Express and you can download a 90day trail for Professional to see for yourself.

Back