Question What do you recommend?

milleym

Programming Experience
10+
Hello all -

Charting newbie here. I've doing some comparative shopping for graphing solutions for the .NET framework, and I figured I'd come to the community first to see what the popular opinion is as a starting point.

I'm ultimately trying to get a list of about 5 solutions that I can then research further; I'd google it, but I'd rather trust opinions of my fellow developers before I'd fall for some marketing hype. In our environment, we have both ASP.NET and WPF applications. Ideally, I'd like to use the same graphing/charting component in both types of solutions.

The end client is the CFO, who cares less about whiz-bang graphics and more about readability, so a "wow factor" is nice to have, but not a requirement.

Short learning curves/ease of maintenance is ideal my end. Also, ongoing development by the vendor is a plus.

What's everyone using?---and what do you actually *like* using?

Best Regards and Many Thanks,

-Mark

I see your profile is VB 2008, so this is just a heads up on VB 2010 and .Net 4 is having Chart controls included. This is a MS take in and improvement of older known Dundas Data Visualization/Chart. The controls can be found in Data tab in Toolbox for ASP.Net and winforms projects, but for WPF it was not completed for the release and it is available in current state from their WPF Toolkit only. You probably know you can host winforms controls in WPF also. Personally I have not had any particular charting needs, and have barely tested the control, so I couldn't tell if it any good compared to commercial packages, but being included in the .Net Framework it should cover at least basic needs, be of fairly easy use, and hold a certain standard.
Built-in Charting Controls (VS 2010 and .NET 4 Series) - ScottGu's Blog
WPF Toolkit - February 2010 Release

Back