What could be meant by a "Shell" application ?

zobobo

Programming Experience
3-5
Hi,

This may or may not be the best place to ask this.

A client recently asked me to develop a "Shell" application in Visual Basic.Net. The client specified the functionality required. For example a button is required to browse for a Wave file and then read it into memory.

I have completed the functionality they requested from me. Except that I do not know what they mean by a "Shell" application.

I need to know what they mean without asking them.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

I've always heard of it as shelling out to an application. As in, you call it as using the line

VB.NET:
Shell("C:\run.bat", AppWinStyle.NormalFocus)

But I've never heard of a Shell application. Maybe its the same thing?

I've always heard of it as shelling out to an application. As in, you call it as using the line

VB.NET:
Shell("C:\run.bat", AppWinStyle.NormalFocus)

But I've never heard of a Shell application. Maybe its the same thing?

Possible. But I think there's more to it. I think maybe what is meant is a scripting application written in VBA or something. But that the code is the same as it would be in VB.Net.

When dealing with customers it is always best to talk with them about what they mean rather than guessing what it is they meant.

A shell app is normally considered to be a app that is launched and runs in a seperate instance. I normally see the term thrown around when you are developing a standard app, then from within that application you launch a shell of another app.

My assumption is they just want a standard vb.net application, and didn't know what a they were talking about.

Back