Web Service only working on local machine [Includes Screenies]

paulthepaddy

Programming Experience
Beginner
hey guys, i created website/web service, got it up and running, it works when using it from localhost
Localhost.png

but when i try to use the service using my external Ip address i get this.
External.png

i have done all the firewall and router settings, ofc as i CAN view the page externally.
i have changed the permissions settings

all i did to make the page was,
Create a new website/ASP.NET webservice
copied the files from the project solutions into the server directory.

is their anything i need to do so the service is usable from my client??
any help at all is apreicated

You are probably using the VS Developer Server or IIS Express, they are for local debugging only, and you need a full IIS web server for remote access. Web Servers in Visual Studio for ASP.NET Web Projects
It seems there is a configuration/hack to enable remote access for IIS Express, but I haven't tried it, see here: Working with SSL at Development Time is easier with IISExpress - Scott Hanselman

edit: thinking about it, it is weird that get any page at all if there is no remote access!? Do a search for the message you get "the test form is only available...", there were some additional configurations that popped up for that.

hi john, thanks very much for getting back to me,as u can see form how old the post is, i have been stuck with this for a while, i have watched videos on youtube and as far as i can tell im not doing anything wrong.

my biggest problem was that i didn't know what to google, as most ofthesearch result were bringing me to tutorials that where basicly the same as i was doing.

i have been soo busy with work im working from 7am to like 8-10pm.
thanks for the link i havn't had a chance to look at them yet, but will do in a few hours or so.

TBH, i am a bit out of my league when it comes to servers, i will have a lot of questions to come as my inital plan, is to have an email server for a small family business of 4 people, as madas this sounds, it is more so for saving copies of the e-mails, and the attachment invoices. i know this isin the wrong topic and i dont want to change the topic, but could you point me in the right direction for this, planning to get a small server going (windows server 2008) can't be bothered trying to get used to linus OS.

NOTE: i will reply to this thread reguarding the web service, also would i be right that iis doesn't have a massive amount of documenation on it, cant find nice simple info, like do i really need to learn everyting about every protocall im going to use, ATM i dont care how it works as long as i know how to use it lol :D

Back