Vs.netinstallation

kumarangopi

Programming Experience
Beginner
I have installed SQL SERVER 2005 on my home PC.By default VISUAL STUDIO 2005 got installed .Now I want to install VS.NET 2005.Can I go ahead with VS.NET 2005 installation right away or I should uninstall anything?

I'm guessing you mean, visual studio 2005 express was installed with sql server 2005 and now you want to install visual studio 2005 professional (or standard)??? if that's the case, no you don't have to uninstall the express edition before installing the professional edition.....it will creates an entirely new instance of visual studio.

anyway, that is all based on my assumption....let me know if you meant visual studio.net (2003).

-Adam

Before you install any Visual Studio editions (not versions) uninstall all previous editions first.

I.E.: UnInstall VS 2005 Express before installing VS 2005 Standard, Pro, Enterprise, etc...
Same for VS 2008, remove the Express edition before installing the full blown thing

i have kept the express edition installed and then installed the professional version over them in both 2005 and 2008 without any problems.......why do you recommend uninstalling the express edition?

i have kept the express edition installed and then installed the professional version over them in both 2005 and 2008 without any problems.......why do you recommend uninstalling the express edition?

Because that's what MS recommends, since they're the one's who make it, I usually follow what they say.

But it is good to know that installing the pro edition on top of the express edition works, are you using WinXP or Vista when doing this?

I have VS2008 Express and professional installed on the same XP SP3 machine and both seem to work fine... however initially I did face some problems as the VS2008 Express WPF Designer settings got corrupted on installing VS2008 Professional so I had to restore the settings.

If you have VS 2008 Standard (or better) why would you even need the express edition? They're both the same 2008 IDE.

Back