VS.NET Design view - All controls disappeared

Erasmus

Programming Experience
1-3
Having a major issue with VS.NET 2005. I was working on a website and tried to switch to design view and all controls had disappeared (although html was shown). All code was correct when viewing in code view and the project built and ran correctly. I tried to see if this was an issue with the website alone or the dev environment by creating a test website. Again, no controls were visible and I cannot even drag controls from the toolbox to the design surface. I've tried repairing the installation of VS.NET but again nothing...any help would be appreciated, I really don't want to have to reinstall XP!

I'm running vs.net 2005 on XP home.

Cheers
Dave Breare

Last edited:
Just to be picky, there is no .NET in the name. It's just VS 2005. As for your issue, I've never created an ASP.NET app so I'm not sure of all the differences but if this was a WinForms app I'd try closing all windows and Rebuilding the project (not just Building buit Rebuilding). If that didn't work I'd try adding the form to a new project via the Add Existing Item option. If I could then see the controls in the new project I'd delete the form from the original project and then re-add it from the second project.

Afraid that doesn't work. Even where I create an entirely new project, and add the pages as existing items, the design view doesn't show server controls. Not sure if I tried rebuilding the project (certainly tried building it) and have now bitten the bullet and reinstalled everything from scratch as I have some deadlines to meet. That said, I know someone else is suffering the same issue in the thread attached below so any further ideas would be appreciated.

http://forums.asp.net/thread/1432618.aspx

Cheers
Dave

As we all know there are some issues with the Visual Studio 2005 designer. Things like this happen to me all the time, my personal favorite is the ...

Originally Posted By Visual Studio
Visual Studio Has Encountered A Problem And Has To Close

It sounds like you have run into just another one of these VS 2005 bugs, it's just that your one seems to have corrupted certain files. The VS 2005 service pack 1 Beta is available for download. Other than that i would reccommend backing up your files regularly until the full service pack is available at the end of this year.

Back