vs.net 2005 solution to 2003 error ???

Signo.X

Programming Experience
1-3
Hello guys ,

i have developed a lagre solution using vs.net 2005 in vb.net running on MS XP operating system that consists of multiple projects..

when i tried to run the same project on another machiene that has vs.net 2003 and an older version of windows, i got this error :

solution was developed on newer version of vs.net, install or update the newer version of vs.net or some thing like that...

I mean guys , please tell me that i dont have to start a new solution on the other computer using vs.net 2003 and start adding each project to the solution..

I'm so frustrated..

any ideas?

~signo.X

It pays to do your research first. You can't even create a new solution and add the projects because those projects will almost certainly contain code that will be invalid. VS 2005 targets .NET 2.0 only. VS.NET 2003 targets .NET 1.0 and 1.1 only. VB 2005 supports features that did not exist in VB.NET 2003, so your code written in VS 2005 will simply not work in VS.NET 2003. Even if you haven't written a single line of code yourself, just adding a form to a VS 2005 project will make it completely incompatible with VS.NET 2003 because it will create two partial classes. VS.NET 2003 doesn't understand partial classes so you're stuffed from the start.

VB2005/.Net 2.0 is not backwards compatible with the older and in every way inferior VB2003/Net.1.1

i really feel like crying..3 months work..

it's just so silly, why would MS do something silly like that ? usually when the software is updated, it should be compatible with the older version of the same software..

well, let's say im only interested to run the application only and not open the solution..i could do that by clicking on the .exe file of each project..but then comes the added refrences libraries issue ? what do guys think?

There is no "should" about it. It's Microsoft's software and they can do what they want with it. They state quite clearly that VS 2005 supports .NET 2.0 only, and if you've created a project that includes all the new features of .NET 2.0 then you can't expect it to work under previous Frameworks. There are very big changes between .NET 1.1 and 2.0 and they are well documented.

As for simply running your application on another system, there are no issues? Deploying a .NET application of any version is a simple matter of installing the appropriate version of the Framework and copying your own assembly to that machine. If your app is simple then it may just be a matter of copying your EXE. If your app requires some of your own libraries or some third-party libraries then you can simply copy them to the target machine as well. If you want to you can also build an installer, either using VS or a third-party tool. The installer can load the Framework if required and copy your application and any other required files to the target system. It can also perform other actions for more complex applications.

If your app requires some of your own libraries or some third-party libraries then you can simply copy them to the target machine as well

where are my third library files stored and where do i copy them ? along with the .exe file ?

If you copy your whole bin folder to somewhere on the other pc, it includes all libraries (third party and own dll's) needed and the exe should run.

At least that's what i think.

If you copy your whole bin folder to somewhere on the other pc, it includes all libraries (third party and own dll's) needed and the exe should run.

At least that's what i think.

that's what i do, everything needed is copied to the bin folder, the only file in the bin folder you dont need is the *.pdb file (the pdb file is the VS IDE debugger file)

Back