Question VS express 2013 no tools no form and more

Adder18

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hey,
I'm a beginner with programming, so i don't know much.
(And i'm 15 and not english, bear with me)
I have downloaded VS express 2013 but i have issues.

I have no form window (in video's they have that and i don't know how to get it)

I don't have tools, they are all grey. (I have installed a powerpack but nothing changed, it was an auto-installer so i don't know what went wrong)

If I go to "Choose Toolbox Items" i have only two tabs. Windows Phone Components and Windows XAML Components.
When is was searching for a solution for my tools i saw other peole have more like net.framework, ... (i have net.framework installed)

I don't know if it help that I say I have windows 8.1

Can anyone help me?
Next year I'm going to learn programming and I just ccan't wait.
So i installed it already but if you see i have problems.

Thanks in advance

Adder18

Which version of VS Express did you install? There are several for different types of projects. It sounds like you have downloaded the one for Windows Phone, which is great if you want to create apps for Windows Phone but not much use otherwise. If you want to create regular old Windows desktop applications then you need VS Express for Windows Desktop. Here's one place you can get that, although you might want to change the locale:

Microsoft developer tools

I see that I installed the one for windows.
What is the difference with windows destkop?
That edition is for the new type of apps that were introduced with Windows 8. For the more traditional Windows apps, you need the Windows Desktop edition.

oh also if i have windows 8.1?

VS 2013 Express for Windows will create Windows Store apps that run only on Windows 8.1.
VS 2012 Express for Windows will create Windows Store apps that run on Windows 8 or later.
VS 2013 Express for Windows Desktop will create standard desktop applications that will run on Windows XP or later.

Latest posts

Back