VS 2005 vs. VS 2008

McGuire

Programming Experience
3-5
I have a VS 2008 upgrade and am trying to find out things before I install it.

Can 2005 and 2008 run on the same pc? Is it a good idea to have both?

Does .NET Framework 3.5 affect 2.0? I read one post in another forum that said it does so am concerned since I have a number of projects using 2005 and 2.0.

At this point, the other programmers where I work are not ready to upgrade from 2005. (They are in the middle of projects.) If I do and I add .NET Framework 3.5 to our development and test servers, will that affect them since they will still be using 2.0?

I read on one forum on another site that 2008 is mainly for Vista? Is that true or does it work fine with XP which is what our users have.

From my research, it seems most of the posts I have read indicate that the majority of those who have moved to 2008 are not having too much difficulty. But, is there anything I need to be aware of before I install the upgrade.

Thanks for any help with these questions.

Can 2005 and 2008 run on the same pc?
Yes
Is it a good idea to have both?
Leave it till you know you don't need it anymore.
Does .NET Framework 3.5 affect 2.0? ... If I do and I add .NET Framework 3.5 to our development and test servers, will that affect them since they will still be using 2.0?
Not to my knowledge. You might want to check the install readme for known issues.
I read on one forum on another site that 2008 is mainly for Vista?
No

Thank you for the fast reply! You have been a big help. I will double check the known issues on that one question. Thanks again!

I have a blog post which covers a lot of the issues you have brought up. In addition...

I read on one forum on another site that 2008 is mainly for Vista? Is that true or does it work fine with XP which is what our users have.

I'm having no problems using it in XP. As far as I know, it is fully supported in XP, but not 2000.

From my research, it seems most of the posts I have read indicate that the majority of those who have moved to 2008 are not having too much difficulty. But, is there anything I need to be aware of before I install the upgrade.

I don't think so. I doubt you'll have any trouble.

Does .NET Framework 3.5 affect 2.0? I read one post in another forum that said it does so am concerned since I have a number of projects using 2005 and 2.0.
The name .Net Framework 3.5 is quite confusing because it is not a replacement of earlier version of .Net Framework. You can use .Net Framework 3.5 only if you have .Net Framework 2.0SP1 and 3.0 on your machine. You can interpret .Net Framework 2.0 as a replacement of .Net Framework 1.1. 3.0 is add-on to 2.0 and 3.5 is add-on to 2.0SP1 + 3.0.

Bear in mind that VS2008 can also be used to target the net framework 2.0, it does not force you to use a higher version.

I currently have VS2005 and VS2008 installed on my computer (XP) and I have not experienced any problems. The earlier poster was correct in saying you can still use .net 2.0 from VS2008, which is a huge plus! VS2008 has so many improvements though, it doesn't make a lot of sense developing in VS2005 if you have access to 2008.

Back