Question Visual Basic 2013 Exp execution error: 'Computer' is not a member of 'My'

KeepItSimpleton

Programming Experience
Beginner
Version 2010 is the last time I used Visual Basic and a bit has changed. I followed one of Microsoft's code examples in my situation and unsurprisingly it didn't work! And of course they don't specify which solution setup to use or the other needed details to get it to run the first time. That rant aside. Attached is a screenshot of my environment and the error. Can anyone offer advice on what will be simple post the advice. Thanks!

ComputerIsNotMemberofMY.PNG

Last edited:
Herman,

Firstly, thanks. Unfortunately that got it to start to compile but I get the error's below. The second error below makes me think that I should make that portion of the project a class and add it to the app. But that makes no sense since its just simple code for a button. Otherwise its almost as if the Store App solution setting does not have the rights to access the My.Computer... functions when they are used in an store app solution. Or that the needed class libraries are not selected by default. Do you know where you have to declare those functions for them to have permissions within the app solution context? Or what libraries are needed for them to work in a app solution. Or other thoughts. (Otherwise where I can safely download VB Exp 2012, or 10 and work in a more bug free environment?)

AsClassError0.JPGAsClassError1.JPG

Error 0: There were build errors. Would you like to continue and run the last successful build?
Error 1: The Project "name" Cannot be started directly. In order to debug this project you must consume it from a windows store app project that creates a package and is marked as a startup project

Yes, it was, sorry it didn't work. Try google...

Like I said this is a designer bug, try doing different things that affects the designer, like targetting a different framework and back for example...

If all else fails, you can always try creating a new project and moving everything from the old to the new.

Back