Question ViewState help

opie

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi folks, newbie here, apologies in advance if my terminology is wrong :D. Been using this forum for a bit to answer my questions via the search function while I learn some VB and ASP but I've got something I just can't wrap my mind around

I have a webpage with a form. I'm using a keyed in entry and a drop down list to connect to a database and grab some values to variables based on that entry. Also show those variables in Textboxes. Everything there is working fine.

I'm using a multiview and view1 to show the form on pageload. Once my data is retrieved I have a button that calls view3 in the multiview to look at some more data in the database and do some edits (using values/variables from the first query)

My problem is when the page reloads my variables are being cleared. From my research "ViewState" is what I want to use to preserve their values but I can't figure out how to use it. I've read tutorials on the net and think i understand the logic behind it but can't wrap my head around it programatically

So was wondering if you could possibly dumb it down even more for a newbie and maybe help with an example

Right now on pageload

VB.NET:
variable1 = Textbox1.Text
variable2 = Dropdownlist1.SelectedValue

Clicking the button to go to view 3. This shows a checkboxlist with some values that I read from my first query and is working fine. The user selects which checkbox entries they want to delete from the database and then clicks a 'purge' button where I run some sql commands using variable1, variable2 and the values from the checkedboxlist. Variable1 and variable2 are empty strings though

VB.NET:
Protected Sub Button3_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As EventArgs) Handles Button3.Click
        MultiView1.SetActiveView(View3)
    End Sub

This is the code calling the function to do the database work "purge button". wod_purge is the function to do the work

VB.NET:
Protected Sub Button4_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As EventArgs) Handles Button4.Click

If CheckBoxList1.SelectedItem.Selected Then
            checkedlist.Add(CheckBoxList1.SelectedValue)
        End If

wod_purge()

End Sub

I don't understand where in the code to use "ViewState" so that the variable retains it's value

Any help provided would be most welcome. Thanks

Back