View image thumbnails in a fisheye control

This can be done with a FlowLayoutPanel containing Pictureboxes to display images, using MouseEnter event of the pictureboxes to control their size. I attached a sample.

fisheye.jpg

Attachments

• vbnet20-fisheye.zip
    15.1 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
Fabulous, just fabulous. Can you please show me how to run this with a backgroundworker and progressbar?

Opening a folder with many pictures slows it right down.

Also how can I soften the fisheye animation. Right now its a little abrupt.

Thanks again for the help.

Using ImageLocation is already a way to cache the work to speed things up, the Picturebox will not load the image until it is necessary to display it. If you for example click the scrollbar to see next "page" you'll first see image 'x' then each image is loaded. Still it is sloppy because enormous amount of memory is wasted, the only way to solve it is to load each image into memory and process a thumbnail image from that (Image.GetThumbnailImage is suitable), which of course is very time consuming and for this you need multithreading. The BackgroundWorker as you mentioned is a very easy component to use for multithreading, basically you add one from toolbox to form and doubleclick it to get the DoWork event, then write the code for the work to do in this thread. To run the worker you call RunWorkerAsync method, it would be suitable to pass the folder path to process as argument to this method. Since the worker methods runs a separate thread you shall not create pictureboxes and modify UI elements here, instead you will stack up the processed thumbnail images in an array, List(Of Image) is suitable, and pass this as Result from worker, the RunWorkerCompleted runs in UI thread and here you can quickly create an array of pictureboxes and add them in one go with FlowlayoutPanel.Controls.AddRange method. Give it a try, it is easy to do what is described here.

Yeah, I tried but it has something to do with sizemode zoom, too.
How so? If you mean the zoomed image doesn't fill the control and give impression of more of less space, then you could use BorderStyle=FixedSingle to show that the controls and their margins are equally "aligned". Calculating and setting a dynamic margin based on utilized control space when image is zoomed would be difficult (but doable), but since images comes in different width/height ratios that would not give the effect you're after anyway. Using border to show control size is probably your best bet.

Back