Venting

GrexD

Programming Experience
Beginner
On and off over the past week and a half I've been trying to get my first VS2005/VB.net web application to deploy and it is mind numbing.

At work last summer I wrote my first PHP/MySQL Server application. It took me about an hour or two to create the database, DB login, tables, and fields using CPanel and MySQL Admin. By lunch time I was reading and writing to tables and getting the hang of PHP. I wrote in Dreamweaver 8 and it seamlessly handle the files on both my development PC and the ftp site. By then end of the week I was ready for a show and tell with my IT manager to show her the direction I was taking the project. In a month I was finished.

I am a VB programmer and have been for more than a dozen years. PHP leans towards C programming, and while I can do it, I prefer VBA/VB/VB.Net. I think in VB.

With this VB.Net web project it has just been one thing after another. The two most irritating things have to do with the set up. Publishing the pages to the FTP site requires that I put in my password every time. Why the hell isn't there a remember password.

The Web set up program won't run because I don't have IIS4 installed even though I removed it under the launch conditions. To get the files to the site I either need to manually ftp them or publish them from within VS05 because I can't use the web set up program. The VS05 publisher tells me it is going to delete all of the files on the site and doesn't give me the option to say "No". This means that it deletes everything from bin folder which I then must manually ftp back on to the site. Why does it do that?

Earlier in the week I was finally able to get to the point to connect and interact with the DB and I was able to create some tables with code. I must do it in code because web.com, which hosts the site does not have a SQL Admin like the Apache site at work does. I also must do it with code because the SQL Server Management Studio I have on my development machine, although it can connect to the SQL Server on web.com, it only sees the master database and not the one I created for my site. The tech support at web.com finally has a sys admin looking in to it after a half dozen postings to the support site. To get this far I finally had to post screen shots of SQL Server Management Studio.

Now, even though it was working last week I am not able to work with the db file on the site again because of a SecurityException: That assembly does not allow partially trusted callers. So now I have several more hours of reading about "Strong naming assembles and key files". Below is what I'm starting with.

The following scenario outlines the process of signing an assembly with a strong name and later referencing it by that name.

Assembly A is created with a strong name using one of the following methods:

Using a development environment that supports creating strong names, such as Visual Studio 2005

The development environment or tool signs the hash of the file containing the assembly's manifest with the developer's private key. This digital signature is stored in the portable executable (PE) file that contains Assembly A's manifest.

Assembly B is a consumer of Assembly A. The reference section of Assembly B's manifest includes a token that represents Assembly A's public key. A token is a portion of the full public key and is used rather than the key itself to save space.

The common language runtime verifies the strong name signature when the assembly is placed in the global assembly cache. When binding by strong name at run time, the common language runtime compares the key stored in Assembly B's manifest with the key used to generate the strong name for Assembly A. If the .NET Framework security checks pass and the bind succeeds, Assembly B has a guarantee that Assembly A's bits have not been tampered with and that these bits actually come from the developers of Assembly A.

Note
This scenario does not address trust issues. Assemblies can carry full Microsoft® Authenticode® signatures in addition to a strong name. Authenticode signatures include a certificate that establishes trust. It is important to note that strong names do not require code to be signed in this way. In fact, the keys used to generate the strong name signature do not have to be the same keys used to generate an Authenticode signature.

I could have written an entire PHP/MySQL Server site before I'm even going to get to the point of doing any real coding with a VB.net web application. Once I Strong Name My Assembly (What ever the hell that means), I will no doubt run in to some other cryptic error from Microsoft.

Very frustrating!

Back