VB.NEt - Problem with Listbox

Jerome Brown

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hello, I have developed an application in VB.NET and I am using a list box with a collection of items ( "A", "B", "C") . I sized the listbox so that it only shows one item at a time. It works perfectly on my system, but when I try to deploy it on different machines, the box is completely flat and no choices can be selected. Can someone tell me why the listbox shows on my system, but doesn't on any other systems?

Thanks in adance for any help.

I do not know why the listboxes show up differently on other systems, other than the fact that other screen resolutions may be different.

You could control the size and location of the listboxes programatically, this way, you will be sure to have the same size under all conditions.

Happy programming.

www.mathpath.net
for math freaks and computer geeks

make sure that the dotnet framwork is installed, and just make an install project, then you are sure that all depencies (db etc etc) are also packed and transported to the other computers

Thanks Mathpath and Digita for your help, I did try the things you both mentioned, but it still had problems on some other systems. I think it might be a screen resolution problem. I ended up losing the list box in favor of some radio buttons. It helped save my sanity for at least one more day.

Jerome Brown said:
Hello, I have developed an application in VB.NET and I am using a list box with a collection of items ( "A", "B", "C") . I sized the listbox so that it only shows one item at a time. It works perfectly on my system, but when I try to deploy it on different machines, the box is completely flat and no choices can be selected. Can someone tell me why the listbox shows on my system, but doesn't on any other systems?

Thanks in adance for any help.

I'm having the same problem with a combo box. I'll make sure I pass you any info I can dig up. So far though, Resolutions have no effect on it. There seems to be some dll or something similar that is blowing up list boxes from displaying items. I don't know if it's because this is the main form or what... I have noted that on my test machines I have the same version of .Net (found in Admin Tools, .Net configuration). I personally have tried different fonts, font sizes, screen resolutions on all machines. Nothing seems to help.

It is probably not practical to see you code. However, if you could reproduce the problem with a separate program by incorporating the suspected factors (list boxes, etc), you'd see where the problem comes from by elimination of many details.
Happy programming.

Listbox/Combo Box

There appears to be either a conflict with another application on the machines where I experience this problem or there is some .net framework bug hard at work here.

I found in the .Net 1.1 Bug list that there's a known issue where Combo boxes won't display items if a text box is on the machine. They have a hotfix for it but I'm frankly to poor to be contacting microsoft to get the hotfix. There seems to be more to it though.
Another bug cropped up on the same form where when I call
messagebox.show("myTextHere", "appname") the "myTextHere" won't display. There's some thing REALLY Kookie going on.

Also, the computers experiencing this bug are on a newtork with some slightly strict security. I don't know if there is a Windows Security policy or a .Net framework policy that might prevent this information from displaying initially but it seems to be the case. I'm trying more stuff out and now researching DLL's on the working machines and the problematic machines with a utility called: Dependency Walker. Hopefully that can provide some insight as to what the problem with this application is. GRR.

On a side note, I made an application that was just a 1 form, 1 combobox, and added 2 list items through Visual Studios properties section in the Collection. Built the solution and ran it on the computer having an issue. For some stupid reason it won't even show the items in a form where it has 1 combobox and nothing else. BLAAAH.

If you could post the simple program that exhibited similar problems, perhaps other readers could try it out, on different machines and different versions of the compiler, of course. This may give you a better insight to solving your issures.

Happy programming.

Back