VB.net book and info

securonic

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi everyone,

I have decided to take up the art of visual basic programming. I would consider myself as a beginner at programming but have had a little experience doing assembly language and turbo pascal while doing a degree in electronics. I also had a ZX Spectrum which i used to program with the old command line basic back in the early 90's when I was a kid so it isn't completely alien to me. I also recently completed a book by James Foxall which i found very helpfull too.

I am currently working on a little project which requires me to communicate to a SQL server (MS) and my little sams book doesn't seem to cover what i need to so. To start with, does anyone have any recommendations for good VB.net books for someone fairly new to VB?

Also, Without beating about the bush it would be very helpful is someone could shed a little light on issuing sql comands to a database via VB. Essentially i want an example for a search box which checks for a particular entry in a remote SQL database. if it is confirmed as existing i then receive an alert or message box. The later isn't an important detail as long as i can see some sort of confirmation. I am having a bit of trouble collating relevent information for this task so just a nudge might get me on the right path.

help is much appreciated.

Kind Regards

Dan

Always the best place to start looking for answers
Google
I would think an online book store would be the best place to start to find a book, but perhaps one need Google to find the book store? :)

Without books, there is really a lot of resources to be found on web, I'd be searching for the ones Microsoft provides first, MSDN is a good place to start for that.

Back