Question Using ComboBoxes in a DataGridView

kernel843

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi All,

I've got a DataGridView with six columns. Three of these columns are actually comboboxes (i.e. each row in the datagridview is a combobox) aka DataGridViewComboBoxColumn. I have successfully populated each combobox with the collection I want from a dataset.

On form load, I want to populate the entire datagridview with another dataset. I'd like to have the combobox's text value to be equal to that of the dataset. So for example I have a "Category" column with different possible values. When the dataset is populated, the Category column should select the category for that row based on what is coming from the database/dataset. I know if the combobox was on the form directly it would just be combobox.text (or selectedtext, I never remember which). I'm guessing part of the problem is I need to reference the combobox for each specific row.

After talking to a friend, he said it would have to happen in the rowdatabound event, which I don't seem to see and based on what I'm reading online is an ASP event not available in Windows Forms.

I've spent a ton of time trying different things online, and nothing has worked so far. Did a search here on the forum and also didn't find a solution.

Any help would be very appreciated.

VB.NET:
            sqlAdvising = "SELECT A.Category, B.Course_Nbr,A.Class_Date, A.Evaluation, A.Notes,A.Curriculum_ID" & vbCrLf & _
                            ", CASE  WHEN Category = 'Pre-Core'		THEN 1" & vbCrLf & _
                                    "WHEN CATEGORY = 'Core'			THEN 2" & vbCrLf & _
                                    "WHEN CATEGORY = 'Concentration'	THEN 3" & vbCrLf & _
                                    "WHEN CATEGORY = 'Elective'		THEN 4" & vbCrLf & _
                                "END AS SORT " & vbCrLf & _
                            ", CASE WHEN CLASS_DATE IS NOT NULL THEN 1" & vbCrLf & _
                                    "ELSE 2" & vbCrLf & _
                                "END AS SORT_TWO" & vbCrLf & _
                            "FROM dbo.STUDENT_CURRICULUM A" & vbCrLf & _
                            "INNER JOIN dbo.Course B ON A.Course_ID = B.Course_ID" & vbCrLf & _
                            "INNER JOIN dbo.Matriculation C on A.Matriculation_ID = C.Matriculation_ID" & vbCrLf & _
                            "WHERE( C.Person_ID = 1)" & vbCrLf & _
                            "ORDER BY  SORT,SORT_TWO, B.Course_Nbr"

Dim sqlCategory As String = "SELECT RTRIM(Pam_Val) as Pam_Val  FROM dbo.Paramater_Values WHERE Key_Value = 'frmDegreeCourseCat' ORDER BY 1"

ds = _DBConnector.executeSelect(sqlAdvising)
            dtAdvising = ds.Tables(0)

dgvAdvising.ForeColor = Color.Black
            dvAdvising = dtAdvising.DefaultView
            AdvisingBindingSource.DataSource = dtAdvising
            dgvAdvising.DataSource = AdvisingBindingSource

ds2 = _DBConnector.executeSelect(sqlCategory)

For Each dr2 In ds2.Tables(0).Rows
                colDDLCoreCategory.Items.Add(dr2(0).ToString.Trim)
                colDDLCoreCategory.Selected = True
            Next

Back