UserControl Postback Issue

rcombs4

Programming Experience
3-5
I'm having an issue with a UserControl that I have never really had an issue with before.

The form is a survey that the user fills out. All the questions and response types(textbox, dropdown...) are bound to the DB.

So on the .aspx page i have a user control(CompleteSurvey). Here i pass the SurveyID in the .aspx page, not through code.

On the CompleteSurvey UC I bind a DataList to the DB in the Page_Load Event. Each item in the DataList has another UserControl(SurveyQuestion), which i pass all the needed information(QuestionID, QuestionText, and ResponseType).

on the SurveyQuestion UC i read in the public properties and display the correct information.

Now i have a button on the .aspx page that will get the answers. On the CompelteSurvey UC I have a GetAnswers function. this will run through each row in the datalist and return a class that has the QuestionID and answer.

I can get the form to display properly. I just can't get the GetAnswers funciton to work.

When I let the page_Load go through for each UC i get a list, of correct size, each item has the correct QuestionID but it has "" as the answer.
When i dont let the page_load go through for either i get a list, of correct size, but each item doesnt have either the right questionid or answer.
if i let the page_load go through for just the CompleteSurvey UC i get a list, of correct size, with the correct questionID but "" as the answer. With this case the form no loger is correct. it doesnt show any quesiton or any answer controls.

Back