Use Windows Scripting Host from .NET

vendiddy

Programming Experience
1-3
I want to add basic scripting capabilities to an application I am making and I heard about the Windows Scripting Host:
Windows Script is a comprehensive scripting infrastructure for the Microsoft® Windows® platform. Windows Script provides two script engines, Visual Basic® Scripting Edition and Microsoft JScript®, which can be embedded into Windows Applications. It also provides an extensive array of supporting technologies that makes it easier for script users to script Windows applications.
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms950396.aspx

Does anyone know how I would use the Windows Scripting Host to implement very basic scripting in my VB.net program? Thanks.

WSH is a small object library for administration of Windows OS commonly used by scripting languages, it's key features is some networking and shell handling.

Outside compiled applications it is used by just writing code in plain text files with .wsh extension, the object library can also be used by writing desktop scripts with VBScript or Javascript languages (.vbs and .js extensions).

Using WSH with .Net can be done by Adding reference to the COM library "Windows Script Host", then you create instance of one of the objects and work with it same as other classes.

Still I somehow have a feeling this is not what you are asking for? Perhaps more in the lines of Make your .Net application support scripting ?

That's what I was looking for--just adding any kind of simple scripting support to my app. I'll read that article, thanks.

Back