Urgent: debug my app

jain_mj

Programming Experience
3-5
I have made an app in vb.net 2002. It works fine in a winXP system with vs.net installed. It works fine in a win98 system with dotnetfx installed. But it is not working in a winxp system with only dontnefx installed. It gives a lot of 'unhandled exception errors'.
So if u have a system with vb2002 and another winxp system with only dotnetfx in it, please check my app. It is attached.
The program is just adding/editing records in an access db.
It is very urgent
Thanks in advance
----------------------
First i tried with dotnetfx 2.0, failed
then with 1.0, failed
then with 1.0 + MDAC + JET, failed
tehn with above 3 + MS Access, failed
then with 1.1 replacing 1.0, again failed.

'failed' means it shows unhandled exception error when loading. I clicked 'continue by ignoring them' then similar errors when add and edit buttons is clicked

The fun is that it works fine in win98!!! and not in winXP!!!

In the startup form, a red box along the corners is formed with diagonals. I have a linklabel in my form and now there is a similar 'box with diagonals' insted of the linklabel.

Experiance the problem yourself if u can. I need to solve this urgently.
-------------------------
My app uses
datagrid, linklabel, textboxes, buttons, system.data.oledb, system.IO
Nothing special about it. but why this is so.
Please see my app

Attachments

• RACCandidateForm.zip
    135.3 KB · Views: 33
It is loading. But at statrup it shows oledb unhandled exception errors and
In the startup form, a red box along the corners is formed with diagonals. I have a linklabel in my form and now there is a similar 'box with diagonals' insted of the linklabel.
Please try to run the attached app in a XP system without vb.net

hi there, i havent got access to my pc right now. but i was reading your post and i think it may be helpful if you could post exactly what the Unhandled Exception was and the description

Mmmm... not a very helpful error message at all. But atleast we know that the problem lies in the OleDb side of your application, and that there woul d appear to be a compatibility problem most likely with different versions of MDAC. This could just be a matter of trial and error. So here's how i would approach it.
Start by finding out exactly what version of the DotNet Framework and what version of MDAC and what version of MS Access (Although it would only make a difference if your trying to run it on MS Access 97 from a newer version)is running on the PC that your program DOES work on. Then try your program again in the winxp system with these components installed. In the mean time i'll run through your program and check out your code, and i'll get back to you in a bit.

I too think that it is a windows error.
I installed WinXp Pro SP2 in another partition of my HD and then installed dotnetfx ,MDAC and JET. The app worked without an error.
Is MDAC and JET actually needed for oledb? I forgot to try the app just after FW is installed.

Yes jet is important, correct me if i'm wrong Kulrom but it is normally part of microsoft access. i don't think you need to install it separately. Anyway

Microsoft Jet is ...

the part of the Microsoft Access database system that retrieves data from and stores data in user and system databases. The Microsoft Jet database engine can be thought of as a data manager upon which database systems, such as Microsoft Access, are built.

yes jet is access's native engine if you like.

Back