unknown project

Gibou

Programming Experience
5-10
Hello,

I have to work on a project begun by another developer.
This project is an asp+vb.net one so I thought it was a "ASP.NET Website with code behind in VB.NET" but it isn't so.

When I click on the .sln file, Visual Studio .net tells me that it can not open the vbproj file although it has been created with the same vs.net version (2005 with .net 2.0)

Another curious thing is that I see some .design.vb files. Aren't they only used on a software project ? A client side software, not a website.

There is a folder "My Project" with some generated files and a Resource.resx although those files are normally in an "App_GlobalResources" folder.

I precise that my installation of vs 2005 is complete. I have all installed, just to be sure.

To be clear, I would like to know, what kind of project is it and how to use it.

Thanks.

WebApp's web forms do have the *.designer.vb files as well.

Instead of opening the *.sln file, go into the project's folder and open the *.vbproj file and see if VS will open that. I'm wondering if the solution file got corrupt some how.

Ok but I don't understand why I haven't this template in my vs 2005.
If I make "new -> project -> visual basic", it is no "asp.net web application" template. In no other place else, moreover.

Is this template downloadable ? I don't find it on msdn.

Thanks

So if you want to start a Web App then you want to do New -> Web Site -> ASP.Net WebSite. There will also be options to choose the code behind language.

Gibou, I am sorry I gave you the wrong info. I was unaware that this option was available, but now that I do it has opened up some ideas for me. Thank you for showing me this.

Have you been able to get into the project the way JuggaloBrotha mentioned?

I can open *.vbproj file with vs 2008 but not vs 2005 because the template "web application project" is not installed for it and I still don't find it.

I would too.

But the developer initially in charge of this project wants to stay in vs 2005 without compatibility problems and he has to work on the project in the same time as me so I have no choice but to use vs 2005 :-/

Would he be willing to use VB 2008 Express? That way s/he's compatible with your leetness and you can make use of the newer syntax that VS 2008 offers.

Not to mention a better IDE.

I totally agree with you but all his activity is based and created with vs 2005/.net 2.0

I must not change that during the time I'm on this project. That's why it gives me so much headaches...

Really, I've used all possible diplomatic ways but, no way, he does not want.

Since you've already opened the project in VS 2008 (or even VB 2008 Express) that means it's already made changes to the project file (*.vbproj) so you'll need to grab another copy of it from a backup and open VS 2005, click File -> Open Project, navigate to the project file (*.vbproj) and open it. When you click save you'll be prompted to create a solution file, go ahead and do so.

That solution is good is the file were corrupted but it wasn't. Indeed, the problem, like I told before is that I haven't the template "web application project". vs 2005 tells me that it can not open this project because this kind of project is not installed and I don't know how to install it on vs 2005.

That is my question...

You keep saying vs 2005 (which has the web app template) it's the vb 2005 express that doesn't have that. Are you using vb 2005 express?

If this is the case, then you really need visual web developer 2005 express (which is free) if you can find a download for it, MS removed it from their product download pages a couple of weeks ago. Otherwise if you can't find it, you'll have to upgrade the project to vs 2008 and have your friend use the 2008 ide too.

No, I'm using vs2005 professional edition

Here are some screenshots (french inside, sorry) :

about.vs.2005.jpg

Here you can see that I have the pro edition AND that web developper is properly installed.

new.project.jpg

Although, you can see here that I can not chose the "web application project" template. In french, it should be called "Application Web" and there's no such available choice.

I've already done and re-done the complete installation.

Thank you very much for your patience

Back