treeview syntax highlighting

Mookie_jones

Programming Experience
Beginner
im trying to create a treeview control that will be used instead of a text editor. this will allow me to expand and collapse code.

is it possible to have syntax highlighting with this control?

You had made a post about this earlier, didn't you? This is an XML document, right?

The whole thing still doesn't seem clear to me. Are you wanting something like notepad that has the tree views expand/collapse functionality, but you can still edit it? As far as this ;fold ;endfold... Are you bound to using this format?

If that's the case, you can change the tree view's LabelEdit property to true and build a backend that will handle changes.

sevenhalo said:
You had made a post about this earlier, didn't you? This is an XML document, right?

The whole thing still doesn't seem clear to me. Are you wanting something like notepad that has the tree views expand/collapse functionality, but you can still edit it? As far as this ;fold ;endfold... Are you bound to using this format?

If that's the case, you can change the tree view's LabelEdit property to true and build a backend that will handle changes.

I am bound to using fold and endfold but i would like it to operate the same as #region and endregion.

im just not sure of the best way to tackle this.

This sounds like it could get pretty involved. A simple (well, simple as I can see it) answer would be to create dynamic panels with multiline textboxes (populated off of a streamreader from the file) and have the panels be displayed/hidden based on an image on the form (a plus/minus or whatever works best).

I'm not sure if that's going to be sufficient enough though. Panels can get to be a pain (creating them dynamically has to be exceptionally worse) and it would take ALOT of effort and planning to get even remotely close to the seemlessness of #Regions.

sevenhalo said:
This sounds like it could get pretty involved. A simple (well, simple as I can see it) answer would be to create dynamic panels with multiline textboxes (populated off of a streamreader from the file) and have the panels be displayed/hidden based on an image on the form (a plus/minus or whatever works best).

I'm not sure if that's going to be sufficient enough though. Panels can get to be a pain (creating them dynamically has to be exceptionally worse) and it would take ALOT of effort and planning to get even remotely close to the seemlessness of #Regions.

I may be addressing this question wrong, but i will try to draw a picture of what im trying to ask..

is it possible to incorporate richtext functionality into the treeview?

I do remember doing some tutorials last year that allowed me to change some things in richtext but i havent had vb.net in over six months and i forgot what i did. i thought it was a modifying of the component.

I can get the code to work with treeview but i havent tried to edit anything until i get my laptop back next week

Back