Treeview Control bound to a sqladapter

adwaitjoshi

Programming Experience
1-3
I have 2 tables in a SQL database, Categories and SubCategories. I want a treeview to be constructed from them basically Categories being the parent nodes and SubCategories being the child nodes. I want the user to add a new node, add a new child node to an existing parent node, also delete a child node or parent node and ofcourse edit the text of any parent node or child node.

Right now I have constructed the treeview by looping through the records returned by my query. I am facing a difficulty with saving. How would I know what changed in the treeview, which node got added, deleted or edited and how would I save the data back to the database?

If this treeview is linked to a datatable/dataset or sqladapter, the task would be VERY easy. Other than that I cannot think of any other solution than manually keeping track of what the user is doing. Please help !!!

jmcilhinney

VB.NET Forum Moderator
Staff member
Programming Experience
10+
Every TreeNode has a Tag property that can store anything. Assign the DataRow from which the node was created to the Tag. When you delete or edit a node you can Delete or edit the DataRow at the same time. When you create a new node you could either create a new DataRow then or wait until you're ready to save.

Top Bottom