trace the window application?

aprna tripathi

Programming Experience
1-3
hi friends
i need your help
i want to know how i could trace the window application in .net
for ex. i have a application in which i am using a form . i which i used a user defined component.
now i need to store a log as this application run event by event, like firstly it load the page then what at next step ... up to endinh the application
in a file.
is it possible to store such data in a file. if yes then how it happen...
please write here if any one have any idea

thanks in advance

OK pal, There are three ways as I know of.
But yet, From your text, Its not clear whether this is a 'stand alone one instance per workstation' application or 'One-Pc-One-Instance' app or 'One-Pc-Multi-Instance-app'
Depending on that paradigm you might need to control the data logging as logging order may be crashed with multi instance application

anyway the things you can do is.
1. Use windows Event Logging system, You can log any event to the event viewer and manually or centrally you can view this event later by Mircrosoft management Consoles
2. attach your debug object to a file and re-route all debug commands to that file. Where you can issue a debug.print command in your application with necessary places and you can collect all information to the file
3. Rewrite a fresh Class for data logging with functionality to log data to a file, central server, database etc as may your case is
instanticate that object in your code when form starts and issue the logging data to that object

Personally, i prefer the third since the re-usability of this class in number of applications for logging and you have the ability to control what information at what level need to be logged and logging it locally as well as remotely or in to a database itself.

Back