Question to use VB 6.0 or VB .NET for simple application?

markthien

Programming Experience
5-10
Hi guys,

It's like 6 years ago I was using VB 6.0. Just until recent I need a simple application to run under WinXP Pro SP3. The application is like below:

1. read a local MDB file using sql statement like select * from ...
2. upload the query result to a server by calling a web services running in the server.
3. Occasionally will ftp files to the server too.
4. This program will running forever until it's been killed.
5. This program will register in Windows Services and start automatically once windows start.

as simple as that. So do you recommend to use VB 6.0 or VB.NET for this simple app? I heard that .Net performance is not really that good. is that true? I also know that microsoft ended the support for VB 6.0 on March 2008 but doesn it really matter to us?
Appreciate somone would advice me on this. Thanks !

regards,
Mark

so for such simple database access, I just need to use ADO.NET will do? or there is other even more simple than ADO.NET?

I heard that .Net performance is not really that good. is that true?

That is completely and utterly not true. You will only take a performance hit from .Net on startup whilst the base class libraries are loaded along with the CLR and any other dependancies that you app may have. However all programs are pretty much subject to that.

The machine instruction that is emmitted by the JIT is fully optimized for the processor architecture that you are using, in some of the comparisons I have done in the past JIT'ed .Net code runs faster than C++ native code. In order to make the C++ code run at approximately the same 'speed' I had to do some major re-writes. Needless to say it took a long time by comparison.

The thing to remember is that once JIT'ed your app is in the form of native x86 machine instruction (differs for 64 bit machines), the same as C++, the same as vb6 or any other program written for windows. It still uses the windows libraries there is just an additional layer of abstraction in the form of the .Net class libraries a little like MFC.

Don't worry about .Net performance it's good, really good! The only problem that it has is from poorly written code to start with, the same problem that every language has.

Back