Text inside a progressbar

Master Zero

Programming Experience
Beginner

Can anyone tell me how to put text inside a progressbar?

For example, I want to embed the current percentage value of the progressbar within it.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks, I was talking about the built-in control. I’ll give your ideas a try, sound like it would work.

OK here we go ... make a new project selecting a "windows control library" from templates.
Then draw a progress bar from the toolbar pane and just join next code in design view (just after 'Windows Form Designer generated code')

VB.NET:
[SIZE=2][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Property[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] Value() [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]As [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Integer
[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Get
[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Return[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] ProgressBar1.Value
[/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]End [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Get
[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Set[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2]([/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]ByVal[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] Value [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]As [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Integer[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2])
ProgressBar1.Value = Value
UpdateLabel()
[/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]End [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Set
[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]End [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Property[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR] 
[SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Property[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] Maximum() [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]As [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Integer
[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Return[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] ProgressBar1.Maximum
[/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]End [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Get
[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Set[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2]([/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]ByVal[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] Value [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]As [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Integer[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2])
ProgressBar1.Maximum = Value
[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]End [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Property[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR] 
[SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Property[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] [Step]() [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]As [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Integer
[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Return[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] ProgressBar1.Step
[/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]End[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Get
ProgressBar1.Step = Value
[COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR] 
[SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Public [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Sub[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] PerformStep()
ProgressBar1.PerformStep()
UpdateLabel()
[/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]End [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Sub[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Private[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Sub[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] UpdateLabel()
[/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Dim[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] myString [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]As [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]String[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] = ((ProgressBar1.Value * 100) \ ProgressBar1.Maximum).ToString()
myString &= "% Done"
[/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Dim[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] canvas [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]As[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] Graphics = [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Me[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2].ProgressBar1.CreateGraphics
canvas.DrawString(myString, [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]New[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] Font("Verdana", 8, FontStyle.Regular), [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]New[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] SolidBrush(Color.Red), 90, 4)
canvas.Dispose()
[/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]End [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Sub
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE]

to test the control just add the new control inside new windows project and add timer control.

timer control code:
VB.NET:
[SIZE=2][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Private [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Sub[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] Timer1_Tick([/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]ByVal[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] sender [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]As[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] System.Object, [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]ByVal[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] e [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]As[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] System.EventArgs) [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Handles[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] Timer1.Tick
Status.PerformStep()
[/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]If[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] Status.Maximum = Status.Value [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Then[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] Timer1.Enabled = [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]False
[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]End[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Sub[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

If you want to reset the timer just join next code to the button or something (i will use a button for the purpose)

VB.NET:
[SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Private [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Sub[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] Button2_Click([/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]ByVal[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] sender [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]As[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] System.Object, [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]ByVal[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] e [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]As[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] System.EventArgs) [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Handles[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] Button2.Click
Timer1.Enabled = [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]False
[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2]Status.Value = 0
Status.Maximum = 20
Status.Step = 1
Timer1.Enabled = [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]True
[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]End [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Sub
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

HTH
Regards ;)

P.S. do not hesitate to ask for a demo project if you cannot realize it from the code above :)

Ok this is a demo project as well as custom control code (project) ... ask if you need an additional help :)

Regards ;)

Attachments

• PercentageProgressbarDEMO.zip
    30.9 KB · Views: 764
  • ProgressbarWithpercenatgeDLL.zip
    24.7 KB · Views: 622
  • demo.png
    demo.png
    7.6 KB · Views: 1,019
Thanks so far!

Is it possible to get self-made controls in the toolbox, to pick and drapg&drop them to a form, when needed? How did you get your UserControl in there?

Brainbug

Brainbug said:
Is it possible to get self-made controls in the toolbox, to pick and drapg&drop them to a form, when needed? How did you get your UserControl in there?

Brainbug

just as you described. Through the toolbox "add/remove items..." ...just locate the .dll file inside bin folder of the 2nd attached project above and click OK. Now you can simply drag that to the form ...

HTH
Regards ;)

finally found it...

I'm using .net 2006 and there it says "choose items" and then you have to browse for the dll; now I managed it to use your control. Thank you very much for your support.

Brainbug

Brainbug said:
I'm using .net 2006 and there it says "choose items" and then you have to browse for the dll; now I managed it to use your control. Thank you very much for your support.

Brainbug

Is there 2006 version already? Then i am not very well informed ... JK :) .. suppose typo but, anyway you are wellcome for help ..anytime, if i am able to be of help ... Regards ;)

Update (show Any texts)

I changed a little bit, so you can set any kind of text in the progress bar.

Private Sub UpdateLabel(ByVal PB1 As ProgressBar, ByVal sInputString As String, Optional ByVal oFont As Font = Nothing)
Dim sString As String
Dim canvas As Graphics = PB1.CreateGraphics
Dim iWidth As Integer
If IsNothing(oFont) Then
oFont = New Font("Verdana", 8, FontStyle.Bold)
End If
sString = ((PB1.Value * 100) \ PB1.Maximum).ToString()
sString &= "% " + sInputString
iwidth = (PB1.Width - canvas.MeasureString(sString, oFont).Width) \ 2
canvas.DrawString(sString, oFont,
New SolidBrush(Color.White), iwidth + 1, 1) ' Not like a 3D effect, so please delete this line.
canvas.DrawString(sString, oFont,
New SolidBrush(Color.Red), iwidth, 0)
canvas.Dispose()
End Sub

regrards

Nighty :cool:

Very cool, but how do I use it?

I like the ability to add text to the progress bar but I have just 2 problems.

1. How do I construct the control to allow me to pass the text to it as a parameter? I'm using the controil code from the examples above but I don't know enough about constructing custom controls to get this to work.

2. How do I change the color of the progress bar? Nothing I do in the DEMO program included above lets me change the color of the progress. I can see how to change the font, size and color but not the bar behind it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
qaball

qaball, a usercontrol is built by placing one or more common controls inside it. If you want properties of the usercontrol itself to access properties of the individual controls behind you must write these properties yourself, providing the link to and fro the usercontrol level and child control level. You may create all new properties of any your liking or override the behaviour of the existing overridable usercontrol properties.

Almost got it.

JohnH

I have it working and cleaned up and it works like a charm now. I do have one question, since I've been working with the demo code that has been posted and used that as a starting point, does anyone know why the bars are green and not the blue of the progressbar control included with VB? Is that an affectation of it being a usercontrol?

Thanks
qaball

Hey,

I'm using my own adaptation of this code, but I've run into a problem.
If you draw the string onto the progressbar, it'll be removed on vista every x secs cause there is some refresh indicator going through the bar.

Is there any event (or procedure used that is overidable), which occurs then, so the string can be redrawn?

Either a solution to this question or a link to a working control that does not have this problem would be very much appreciated.

Cheers
BN

Back