Test my application with unicode...

lidds

Programming Experience
Beginner
I am looking for some advise, I currently have a VB.Net application using .NET frameworks 2 written in VS 2005. One of my clients wants to know if the application works with Unicode, at the moment I have not tested this and what I am looking for is some advise on how to do this e.g.

1) Does anything need to be added to my project e.g. code to allow this functionality.
2) Is there a way that I can easily check to see if my application can work with Unicode?
3) Advise on how other people test for this?

I know it is a bit general, but as I have not done this before I am obviously trying to build my knowledge and get it right with regards to testing etc.

Thanks in advance

Simon

Hello.

What does he mean with Unicode?
If I'm not completely mistaken Unicode is nothing more than a Character Set which shouldn't be a problem. The question would be what your client means with that...f.e. special characters like the latin letters (Unicode/UTF-8-Zeichentabelle).

Bobby

Sorry obviously did not explain thing / use the correct terminology, what I mean is different languages / keyboard characters.

Simon

Areas in application to look into is where input/output happens either for text controls, text files or database text fields. If you use database with text column you must verify that these are unicode fields (Ntext etc). Otherwise VS uses unicode by default in most cases, usually Utf-8. For streamreaders/writers you can specify encoding, default is utf8, but you can also tell them to use Encoding.Default which is "the operating system's current ANSI code page", and for streamreaders detectEncodingFromByteOrderMarks can also be used when applied.

Back