temporary data storage

geekwannabe

Programming Experience
10+
I'm working on the transition from VFP to .net. I'm beginning to see that work is not so difficult in C#.net,vb.net.

My question is: Is there a preferred method of storing temporary tables?

I have discovered the wizard will not generate update statements unless the foxpro tables have a primary key index. That means of course they must be part of a dbc. Should I be concentrating on how to create these programatically?

What's a dbc?

The wizard cant auto generate PK-less tables becauyse it doesnt know how to identify uniquely a particular row. There is nothing stopping you writing the query yourself, but dont expect good performance if it has to do a full table scan each time, to find the row.

A dbc is a database in foxpro. Foxpro stores field/table rules in the dbc.

It's not that the table has no pk. It is just not defined in the dbc which leaves it up to the programmer to maintain the integrity of the pk.

Again, the question I was looking for feedback on is: Is there a table format favored for temporay use? Is it that since ADO makes the interace to mysql,foxpro,xml basically the same there is no real advantage of one over the other?

OK, and what do you envisage you will do with this temporary table?

Pardon my questioning; its just that I have never needed one in my use of databases in .NET - i get the feeling youre trying to apply a Foxpro method of working/thinking to .NET

Latest posts

Back