Suggest me a Project

aditya12c

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi friends,
As my thread topic says suggest me a project. i am in BSC-IT 3rd year student i have to make a good, big and useful project for my college. that project has value of 200 marks. I had made project using VB6 and Java and Adv java(project were small). i am first time making PROJECT in VB.net but i don know what to make. i have some ideas in mind for project but i think they might be small.

So i need help from you guys and Suggest me a good project with some description on it. i will be really thank full to u.......

some of the project which are made by senior are stock market and insurance company using Vb.net.

To blow your instructor's socks off:
-Chat program with file transferring, where users can browse other user's files (and display the associated icon for each file type). Include data encryption for the chat messages for extra sockoffage points.
-An FTP server or client (or both)
-An email server or client (or both)
-A wordpad clone, on steroids (full RTF compatibility, including automatic color schemes for code editing)

To fly under the radar:
-A network testing tool. Ping, Trace Route, etc...
-A LAN chat tool with broadcast (all computers) messages.

Best I can do off the top of my head.

This might help u

These project was suggested to me by some of intellectual users of this forum

1.POS(Point Of Sale System) System
2.Google Translator/Interpretor

kulrom said:
Actually, how big a project can you do? Is it allowed using of ASP.NET for your project?

Cheers ;)

ya i am allowed to make project in ASP.net too but i don know anything in that so using VB.net only

Thanks dude but one more information i will like from u

LHandy said:
To blow your instructor's socks off:
-Chat program with file transferring, where users can browse other user's files (and display the associated icon for each file type). Include data encryption for the chat messages for extra sockoffage points.
-An FTP server or client (or both)
-An email server or client (or both)
-A wordpad clone, on steroids (full RTF compatibility, including automatic color schemes for code editing)

To fly under the radar:
-A network testing tool. Ping, Trace Route, etc...
-A LAN chat tool with broadcast (all computers) messages.

Best I can do off the top of my head.

As i am learning VB.net so i am not fully aware with that software. i wanted to ask u is it possible to connect hardware to software using vb.net. i mean taking data from hardware and using it in my project. And if its possible which book should i refer or any site. Again thanks for the project idea its sounding good.

sunnypalsingh said:
These project was suggested to me by some of intellectual users of this forum

1.POS(Point Of Sale System) System
2.Google Translator/Interpretor

Thanks dude,
But Don understand anyhting in this. It would be better if u give some detail on it.

Here are the details

A point of sale system is a bit of software they use in shops: when they scan the barcode in, it gets interpreted by the POS system, which adds the price, item name etc. It then comes up with a total, maybe edits the stock count of the item, that kind of thing. If you wanted you could make it really quite advanced.

The translator would have one textbox, and one output field (label or similar). You could enter a plaintext query, and it would come back with the answer. eg if you enter "50kmh in metres per second" into google, it will come back with the answer. It could also work as a translator eg "computer in french". It would need a db to store the conversion data, and a fairly clever bit of code in VB to interpret what kind of query it was and do it.

Yes, VB can interface with hardware. Im writing a bit of software at the moment to automate surveying measurements with a theodolite.

Only thing is, VB.NET 2003 doesnt include support for serial ports. Either use 2005 or a 3rd party plugin to do that.

ok

tomhosking said:
Yes, VB can interface with hardware. Im writing a bit of software at the moment to automate surveying measurements with a theodolite.

Only thing is, VB.NET 2003 doesnt include support for serial ports. Either use 2005 or a 3rd party plugin to do that.

Is der any Book availaible to learn Hardware interaction. if der than plz tell me...

POS is good to think on

sunnypalsingh said:
A point of sale system is a bit of software they use in shops: when they scan the barcode in, it gets interpreted by the POS system, which adds the price, item name etc. It then comes up with a total, maybe edits the stock count of the item, that kind of thing. If you wanted you could make it really quite advanced.

The translator would have one textbox, and one output field (label or similar). You could enter a plaintext query, and it would come back with the answer. eg if you enter "50kmh in metres per second" into google, it will come back with the answer. It could also work as a translator eg "computer in french". It would need a db to store the conversion data, and a fairly clever bit of code in VB to interpret what kind of query it was and do it.

I like the idea of POS and to make it advance i can use it as EDI software.

Well, it depends what the hardware is. For the devide Im using, its a case of sending plain-text commands through a serial port, which is fairly simple to set up. Id be happy to help you with this if you wanted... Beyond that I know very little about actual hardware interfacing, the internet would be a great place to start..

a suggestion from me

been a student like u i have traped in one project .may u find this project very useful.THE PROJECT IS AS FOLLOWS.
if u visit a plywood shop u ask for som(langth * bradth)size
so try to implement real plywood as window form

Back