Stuck in .NET blizzard! :)

Bahai

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi.

What is the best way for a newbie to get to know all the classes and what they do in .NET?

There are so many namespaces and classes, so it's a bit daunting.

Do you recommend a book, or just going through the help files. Or maybe looking at sample programs and slowly figuring out what each class does?

Thanks in advance.

It takes time and experimenting to get to know your way around. Books and online tutorials help and of course asking questions on forums like this one really help.

What is the best way for a newbie to get to know all the classes and what they do in .NET?
It's not going to happen. I've been coding in VB and C# since 2003 and I've been an MVP for three years and there are huge wads of the Framework that I know nothing about. You should learn the basics using beginner books or online tutorials and then start expanding your knowledge by building useful applications. After a while you'll start to see the different areas of the Framework that you can choose to concentrate on and those that you must. For me at the moment it's ASP.NET MVC and the Entity Framework. I know virtually nothing about WCF and WPF, which are over a year old by now, so they will be something to look at in the near future.

Ha ha ha! :)

Well, little by little the bird builds its nest.

I'll give myself another year then before I think about getting to know the framework.

Thanks!

Back