Stream Video Player

pitaridis

Programming Experience
10+
I am planning to capture some video tutorials for my school. I do not want my students to be able to get out of the school the videos so I want to develop an application which will be able to play and protect the videos. I am planning to encode the video files and decode it when I am going to use it. My problem is that I do not want to copy the decoded file because with the use of a disk monitoring application someone will be able to find the directory in which I save the decoded files and he will be able to take the files. What I want to do is to have the decoded video in a stream and play it directly from my application. Is there a way to do it or can you suggest a commercial control which will allow me to make something like this?

Thanks you help.

How is having a custom encoder & decoder going to stop youre students from getting out of school help exactly? and you want to play the video without actually having a file on the computer. I know you can add resources; pictures, icons. Im not sure if you can do it with a .avi or any other video format... You could get a free webhost and just upload the video there and stream it with a WMP control or have a small browser built in.

The file will be in the same directory with my aplication but I will have encode it with an alogorithm that I am going to develop. I will read the entire file and I will decode it and store the actual AVI file in a stream. After that I want to find a way to play the AVI stream. In order to help you I will write some sudocode commands.

VB.NET:
EncodedSream = ReadTheFile("EncodedFile.vid")
DecodedStream = DecodeTheStream(EncodedStream)

' The original AVI file has been stored in the DecodedStream
Play(DecodedStream)

My problem is the Play method. I want to find a way to play the AVI which has been stored in a stream.

I'm not too entireley sure what you mean by stream? You could just take a WMP control on youre form and play it or find another Video Player.

Back