Question Strange network connection behaviour on WM4

voteforpedro

Programming Experience
1-3
My PDA has an active *working* WiFi connection. Internet Explorer, MSN Messenger and other programs requiring a network connection work as they should.

Now when I have the device docked and I deploy the app from VS 2005 it successfully opens a connection to the MSSQL server and works flawlessly.

However, if I build the app and run it WITHOUT the dock (i.e. with no connection to the PC), it doesn't work. Even if I run the deployed app from \Program Files\<app name> it still doesn't work...

Basically as soon as it attempts to query or connect to the server it freezes the app for about a minute then moans of an "unexpected error". Occassionally I get an unhelpful SQL error.

I decided to test the network connection using HttpWebRequest but it returns true (i.e. connected) in both situations, which is even stranger.

How might the device being docked and connected to the computer effect its network connection?

Here are the errors:

HIS.exe
SqlException

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError()
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError()
at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning()
at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Connect()

... various other SQL stuff

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick()
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick()

... various other Forms stuff

at System.Windows.Forms.Applications.Run()

at HIS.frmMain.Main()

I get the following error:

SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

Works perfectly using this connection string when docked:

Server=M*******.**.**.**.**;Initial Catalog=t********;User ID=****;Password=****;Persist Security Info=false;

But says access denied if I pull it from the cradle... I have asked the administrator to enable the IP address of the device on the SQL Server so it *should* work.

Back