Startup before other applications

idan_jl

Programming Experience
3-5
Hi! everyone, I would like to ask about how to load your vb.net app on startup after entering windows password, I tried registry key on currentversion\run but not the after windows login, after loading windows desktop and it takes a lot of time before loading my app, I want to load it after windows login closes.

how to load your vb.net app on startup after entering windows password,
You have two options, one is to place an entry in the registry as you did and the other one is to place a shortcut of your application in the startup folder. If your application is installed for a particular user then the application will be launched only after the windows profile of that user is loaded that is, only after the username and password of that user is entered.

You have two options, one is to place an entry in the registry as you did and the other one is to place a shortcut of your application in the startup folder. If your application is installed for a particular user then the application will be launched only after the windows profile of that user is loaded that is, only after the username and password of that user is entered.

Sorry, neither of those will make an app start before the user logs on

Either use winlogon notify http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=winlogon+notify

Or create a service

Sorry, neither of those will make an app start before the user logs on

But cjard, idan_jl asked to load the application after entering windows password no? that means after loading windows profile. please check the quotes below.

Hi! everyone, I would like to ask about how to load your vb.net app on startup after entering windows password
I want to load it after windows login closes.
As per the above quotes I think he is not asking about windows service. If he is asking to make an app start before the user logs on then definitely the answer is windows service or winlogon notify. Also winlogon notify is a new thing to me also, I'm going to google about that.

But cjard, idan_jl asked to load the application after entering windows password no? that means after loading windows profile. please check the quotes below.

Good call.. I genuinely read the OP's question as "before entering windows password" - Alzheimers ;)

after loading windows desktop and it takes a lot of time before loading my app, I want to load it after windows login closes.
This made me think the OP wanted the app to start immediately after logging in. This won't be accomplished by a normal registry setting or shortcut.

I tried some research that winlogon might work, but it's complicated coz' you need to make a DLL that will execute you app.exe and create a registry value in windows NT\CurrentVersion\Notify\...
put the yourDLL.DLL with parameters....

This made me think the OP wanted the app to start immediately after logging in. This won't be accomplished by a normal registry setting or shortcut.

Indeed, and I cant think of any method that will guarantee that an app is the first to be started after logging in; even a service may not have finished starting by the time the user logs in. Winlogon notify is the only thing that I can think of to ensure the app starts before login, and that's as close in time to "immediately after login" that I can think of

I've only started this thread coz' I saw some of this apps that does this, like CyberCafe Pro, and I want to make something like it that fits in my system, thanks guys for the replies... hope someone can help me with this one

Back