SqlDataSource control error when trying to sort the data from the grid

binici

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hello:

I forgot what to do in a case like this. I have a SqlDataSource control within a label and I want to allow auto sorting, but when I click on the sort link the page comes back with:

The SqlDataSource control 'sqlViewIncompleteForms' does not have a naming container. Ensure that the control is added to the page before calling DataBind.

[HttpException (0x80004005): The SqlDataSource control 'sqlViewIncompleteForms' does not have a naming container. Ensure that the control is added to the page before calling DataBind.]
System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataBoundControlHelper.FindControl(Control control, String controlID) +1590679
System.Web.UI.WebControls.ControlParameter.Evaluate(HttpContext context, Control control) +76
System.Web.UI.WebControls.Parameter.UpdateValue(HttpContext context, Control control) +46
System.Web.UI.WebControls.ParameterCollection.UpdateValues(HttpContext context, Control control) +103
System.Web.UI.WebControls.SqlDataSource.LoadCompleteEventHandler(Object sender, EventArgs e) +40
System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e) +0
System.Web.UI.Page.OnLoadComplete(EventArgs e) +2010392
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1209

How do I over come this? Do I have to use the find control method on page_load? Here is the code portion .vb

<% 'Label which contains the default.aspx home content %>
<asp:Label ID="recip_home_display" runat="server" Visible="false">
<div align="center" class="HeaderSmall">Incomplete Recip Submissions</div>
<asp:GridView ID="RecipStatusGridView" runat="server" AutoGenerateColumns="False" BorderWidth="0px" DataKeyNames="queue_id"
DataSourceID="sqlViewIncompleteForms" AllowPaging="True" AllowSorting="True" CellPadding="2" CellSpacing="2" CssClass="TextSmall" HorizontalAlign="Center" Width="500px" Visible="False">
<Columns>
<asp:BoundField DataField="queue_id" HeaderText="Incomplete Listings" HtmlEncode="False"
InsertVisible="False" ReadOnly="True" SortExpression="queue_id">
<ControlStyle CssClass="LinkNormal" />
<ItemStyle HorizontalAlign="Center" />
<HeaderStyle HorizontalAlign="Center" />
</asp:BoundField>
<asp:BoundField DataField="form_type" HeaderText="Listing Type" SortExpression="form_type">
<asp:BoundField DataField="listing_address" HeaderText="Listing Address" ReadOnly="True"
SortExpression="listing_address">
<asp:BoundField DataField="last_modified_date" DataFormatString="{0:d}" HeaderText="Last Modified"
HtmlEncode="False" SortExpression="last_modified_date">
</Columns>
<HeaderStyle BackColor="#5C6F8D" />
<AlternatingRowStyle BackColor="#e9eaf0" />
</asp:GridView>
<asp:SqlDataSource ID="sqlViewIncompleteForms" runat="server" ProviderName="System.Data.SqlClient" ConnectionString="<%$ Appsettings:connectionstring %>" SelectCommandType="StoredProcedure" SelectCommand="spGetIncompleteForms">
<SelectParameters>
<asp:ControlParameter ControlID="active_member_id" Name="AgentId" />
</SelectParameters>
</asp:SqlDataSource>
</asp:Label>

Ok, someone helped me on this issue. It is better to use a placeholder control instead to avoid the child controls.

Back